Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
swirlchaser

Need help with all this dust!

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Hey guys, all turning has temporarily been stopped here at PPW. It seems my girl may be suffering from dust induced asthma. I don't want to stop building plugs but I kinda want to keep her so let's see what you guys to manage dust in your shop.

Thanks

Marco

That is going to be really difficult unless you can set up in a separate structure. It may not be possible if she is highly sensitive. At the very least, coveralls  that stay in the shop and compressed air to decontaminate yourself before going into the house would be the last step of any dust management plan, even if in an outbuilding. 

It is possible that her sensitivity is either specific to or more problematic with certain species of wood. Some woods like cedars, teak, or mahogany are much more irritating than domestic hardwoods like maple or cherry...but everyone is different and some sensitivities are cumulative and can lower  a persons reaction threshold after long term but low level exposure.

Either way, sorry to hear and I hope you can find a plan that works for everyone.

I had some weird issue breathing a while back and although it was never sorted out I decided it was a good idea to eliminate anything that was a potential problem. I had a dust collector but only turned it on sometimes and most times I wanted to hear music in the basement so I shut it off etc. Now I got a dust dog or a 2 micron canister on the collector and it runs to most tools and I have a hose that I attach to whatever I use. I try to turn it on even if I rip a piece of ply wood on the table saw.

The hoses, gates etc get pricey quick but if you keep it basic you should be fine with a basic set up.

I had some weird issue breathing a while back and although it was never sorted out I decided it was a good idea to eliminate anything that was a potential problem. I had a dust collector but only turned it on sometimes and most times I wanted to hear music in the basement so I shut it off etc. Now I got a dust dog or a 2 micron canister on the collector and it runs to most tools and I have a hose that I attach to whatever I use. I try to turn it on even if I rip a piece of ply wood on the table saw.

The hoses, gates etc get pricey quick but if you keep it basic you should be fine with a basic set up.

Whenever I forget to wear a respirator while turning AYC, I also get some type of respiratory problems. Like you mentioned, breathing issues and hocking up big green loogies. Nasty stuff, that AYC.

x2 what woodpecker said...

if you turn alot of AYC (which im pretty sure you do), it's probably all the oil in the AYC. If you can smell it, you aren't doing a good job capturing and filtering it...

I turn in my basement. Shut the basement door, I made a ghetto rig dust system using a shop vac I had. i also have a small carbon air filter that I run after im done turning plugs for an hour or two to remove any small airborne particles left floating around.

works pretty well. I'll go to a full fledge dust system once we buy a house, just renting for now.

Thanks guys, I do turn AYC, it wasn't a problem for the first year but I rarely turned more than 5-6 bodies at a time. Now that I've stepped up production the amount of dust has tripled if not more. I'm looking into a 5 micron dust collector but it's not small, going to have to make some room.

Hang one of these (Jet Air Filtration System, Model AFS-1000B):

from the ceiling in the shop. Cuts down on a lot of the small dust in the shop. Can even set it to continue running after you leave. Helped out my shop.

Outside will work in the spring but it's 20* right now

Com'on 20 is doable. I turned outside yesterday. ;)

Build a separate building. Still add a air scrubber, and since your now working as a commercial builder, I would suggest you don't go cheap with it. If it effects you child it's likely going to effect you and your wife. Just putting a system in your basement is not the solution. It will still leave dust getting into other parts of the house. I even use a dust system when turning out side.

These guys are right. A couple plugs here and there is not bad but when you are talking commercial quantity's you either isolate the room your using from the rest of the house, maybe with plastic sheeting and install a heavy duty filtration system. Or build a separate shop dedicated to wood working away from the areas the girl frequents. Asthma can be a serious problem and can affect her future. I know a couple people who had to give up the hobby due to the same problem you have. Cant mess with the kids future. Good luck.

BTW...If you meant GF, They can be replaced ;)

Whenever I forget to wear a respirator while turning AYC, I also get some type of respiratory problems. Like you mentioned, breathing issues and hocking up big green loogies. Nasty stuff, that AYC.

I''m pretty sure cedar contains silica?

Turning outside would be the best solution but when its warm enough to turn its time to stop building and go fishing. With the way I'm set up now I only get wood chips and with the DC off craigslist it didn't break the bank.

make sure you have the power requirements for it. I rent an old house, and I can't upgrade the wiring cause we dont own it. If I put in a real dust collection system, i would blow a fuse with my lathe on....

i didnt realize you were going commercial. i would listen to all these guys and find a way to do your plugs in a seperate building. between the sawdust, the sealers, the paints, the epoxy, etc everything we use is bad....

and just because you don't show signs on it doesn't mean it doesn't affect you. whenever i turn, even with a good dust mask, i feel some nasty **** get in my nose/ throat...but so far this winter i have turned a whopping 5 darters...

Everyone has given you good suggestions. But I'll add, it's also the stuff you don't see that messes with your lungs. Like others have mentioned run you air filtration system long after youre done turning because that fine stuff will remain in your working area for a while. No matter what you do you'll likely carry the stuff into your living space. Your hair, clothes and just about everything on your body will hold that ultra fine dust.