Loading reel with braid... quick question??

Rate this topic

1dozenraw

I just bought a new spinning reel and there is a rubber band around the spool so that I don't need mono backing to keep the braid from slipping. I always used an arbor knot with mono... same thing for braid?? Or is there a better knot with braid. I figured arbor knot for braid too... but just wanted to check with anyone who has had the experience of braid loading with these newer reels/spools. Thanks.

FYI ... I tried "search" before I posted...;)

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts" Jack Johnson.

I use the arbor.

The Daiwa Saltists that I use don't come with the rubber pad, so I give them a three wrap cushion of adhesive tape, and no mono backing.

Haven't had any issues.

Keith

I guess my direct question was about the Arbor knot and braid compatibility. Thought it would work, but figured I'd check first before loading. thanks again.

Less than 7 yds of mono will not hurt anything. On my inshore spinners with 20 or 30lb braid I use 4 or 6lb mono backing with A clinch knot to clinch knot connection. All it does is allow the braid to bite into the mono for grip so it won't spin on the spool. I even use less than 10lb mono on reels I use 50 or 55lb braid as Heavy mono will just take up useless space.

I don't know if you need any mono if there is a pad on the spool, that is just one more knot that can fail. Part of the reason I went to braid in the first place is to reduce the amount of knots, since with 65lb braid, I have no need for a shock leader, and that is one less knot that can fail.  For tying braid directly to the spool you could start with a slip - knot that will tighten when pulled onto the spool, also an improved cinch knot or J knot work well. For braid-to mono connections I use a uni-uni. Just be sure to moisten the knot before pulling it tight.

Doesn't mono backing help reduce costs so you can load 150 yards of braid instead of more yds of braid that most likely won't be used!

Yes it does, but I like to have 200-225 yards on so I'm not looking to reduce the amount I use by padding with mono. This reel takes 225 yards of 50lb braid of the type I prefer.