Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PM Casting

mounting 12 inch trailer tires in rims manually

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Has anyone mounted 12 inch trailer tires on rims manually using tire irons?

I always have bought the tires mounted on galvanized rims. Now I have a surplus of galvanized rims with bald tires.

We always did this with bicycle tires as kids, but after searching the web I read mixed reviews on feasibility of mounting larger tires.

Also I've read that most auto repair/tire stores can't handle rims this small. Any thoughts?

Ive done small tires at work with old school tire bars. Its a pita. I guess you can use tire irons just have at least 3 on hand. If someone can help you that would be great. Just use a lot of wd40 to lube the bead to help slide the tire over the rim. Small bites when pushing tire over rim. You may need a quick burst of compressed air to set the bead. Be careful with that. Good luck

Mark

If you don't have enough air to pop that bead on put a ratchet strap around the tire to hold the bead on. You can use a hand pump to get it started then.

If you are still trying, most newer/larger auto repair facility's can handle them. The tire machine in our shop can handle down to a 10" tire and we do quite a few small tires. Most of the time the local/smaller garages don't invest 15k into a tire machines.