Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
spinningreel

New Quantum Iron Spinning reel

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Quote:

Originally Posted by spinningreel View Post

I used the Penn Battle 4000 to fish for Giant Mekhong catfish, and the gears were badly shot after just one fish. Fished the Quantum Cabo 40 PTSD and even the old Quantum Catalyst Inshore for the same purpose, and they were as smooth as new at the end of the day.

You used a bass size inshore reel on the worlds biggest freshwater fish species and then complain that the gears didn't hold up?

a) It was the purpose of the extreme field testing;

b) Quantum's reels were the same size;

c) The internet (including this forum) is filled with posts that complain about new Penn's gears even during normal usage.

a) It was the purpose of the extreme field testing;

b) Quantum's reels were the same size;

c) The internet (including this forum) is filled with posts that complain about new Penn's gears even during normal usage.

Ok, I have been patient so far but I am done with that.

Learn to spool and use a reel before you post on the internet that someone's hard work at engineering a reel is faulty.

Ya can't fight what is style, vogue and gangsta.....  They all want sub 5oz. ultra strong techno bling machines.  Slap on 100# super duper rope and winch them babies in, who wants a fight. Its all about making the pics on the interweb!  Saltwater versions of bass pro's, just use em till they explode and my sponsor will replace it with next years version anyway.....   That's why I use bass gear to catch giant goldfish in the asian jungles.  I'm a "field tester"  Don't forget to wear a flat brimmed ball cap canted kaddy whampus and wear your britches like a prison block *****!

Oh, I've seen your videos. You fish a pay lake in Thailand or something. I don't have a problem with them; you communicate clearly what you are doing, but I do have an issue with the post you put here. My problem with this is that an individual with less experience with fishing gear who uses this thread as a research tool will come to two erroneous conclusions- one, that the reel is flawed, and two, that is is normal and appropriate to spool a reel the way you did.

I don't accept your defense that the failure of Penn reels is well documented. While it is true that there are complaints, the assertion that these complaints are based on normal use is not supportable. There are a considerable number of fishermen here who, frankly, have no idea what the limits of their equipment are. It stands to reason that some of them will be disappointed. While the companies' marketing is part of the problem, internet images also contribute significantly.

Also amusing is that, for all of your research into the reels themselves, you seem to be oddly naive about the line. There is a very good site about modern braids, and the testing done by that site shows that line diameters are routinely understated. 50# braid is probably much closer in diameter to 17# mono, and you will not get good line lay on that reel with that diameter line.

For those who are interested in the Quantum Iron, the reel is probably a good, cost-effective choice for inshore redfish and trout or flats fishing for bonefish where the light weight balances with the rods used and the extra line capacity provides a comfort zone when fish take off on you.

Look, I don't want to pile on because I think you are well meaning and enthusiastic.

But your amateur's criticism of Quantum's oscillation design is way off base as it is not based on anything remotely accurate (your poor choice of line and spooling technique) or engineering/scientifically rigorous. You are enthusiastic, but you are not being fair to Quantum. Different reels are differently optimized. With a reel that small use a braid they would expect and then we can talk. Different braids and mono spool differently too even if they are the same diameter. It has to do with how the line slides over itself or not.

And "extreme testing" tiny inexpensive reels on Mekong Cats is simply ridiculous. I could just as easily test and blow up a $700 Stella 3000FE on a Mekong Cat and what have I proven?

Nothing. You can blow up any reel. Mekong Cats are huge and seem really tough!

You aren't going to make any sense doing ridiculous things and then bad mouthing perfectly fine reels for the money.

A little balance about what you don't understand is best. We haven't seen that.

That is why you've been getting flamed in the last few posts.

best

Haha, I'm bumping this just because.  I have 2 Iron PTS 40's and they are great reels.  No issues at all.  They just feel like they are really well built reels.  One of them is on my 76MHF LT Inshore, with 20# braid.  My favorite SW rig.  

That's all.