Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
spinningreel

New Quantum Iron Spinning reel

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

I bought the size 50, and when I checked it, I loved it: metal body, carbon drag, solid reeling, light for the size.

Then I cheked underneath the spool.. no ball bearing, ok it might or might not rotate in the frontal plane under high drag. Let's pretend it's no biggie.

Then I spool it with 50lbs Tuff Line XP.. and it spools like ****. I mean mostly in the middle of the spool, which makes a good drag useless, if you use braid, because the braid will certainly dig in with high drag at one of the (upper or lower) spool edges. Of course the spacers are no use, as, if you place one more, it might solve the lower edge, but it worsen the upper edge.

What drives me crazy is that in the year 2015 a big reel manufacturer (and its engineers) cannot still figure out out to make a reel spool well. I mean, just copy Shimano, Okuma or Abu..

Mechanically, I think the oscillation slider's path is shaped in a way that the shaft moves too fast off the edges and too slow in the middle.

Tomorrow is three kings' day, please, someone present a Shimano, Okuma or ABU O/S slider to Quantum's engineers.

I have a few new quantum cabo 40's and 50's and they spool up fine. Can you post a pic of your spool? And also quantum is part of the Zebco group which owns Van staal and fin nor so Im pretty sure they know a thing or two about line lay. In your post you mention okuma for line lay, ImO okuma maybe just about the most terrible spinning reels on the market as they use an elliptical oscillation system that uses the cheapest softest maingear in the business, trust me I've burnt a cedros and a trio after just a few outings. Okuma conventionals have come a long way though and started making decent reels but their spinner market IMO is still poop

Hi,

I have the new Quantum Cabo 40 PTSD, and as Alan Hawk also found out, the line lay is far from exceptional, the rest is very good, that is why I also bought the Iron.

The line lay of the Iron (which is pretty much a Fin Nor Inshore relabeled and improved) sucks.

I have used Okuma (as well as a zillion other reels on the market), and it is true, their gearing is bad as far as the material is concerned, but the engineering of the double surface drag, for istance, and the ellictical gear line lay are just excellent. Same for the new ABUs and pretty much all the Shimanos, despite the fact that they use three different mechanical solutions for the line lay for their entire line of reels.

I will go as far as to say that Quantum's reels have the best gearing material in the 100-300$ range as proven by my extreme field testing, part I and II (find part I somewhere in the forum), but material and engineering are two different things.

I haven't seen the iron..or at least this decade's version. But the cabo wasn't equal to that of Shimano or Daiwa in terms of line lay either.

I always wondered why reel manufacturers can't seem to get that right.

It all depends on the type of oscillation system. Not every Shimano spools the same as they use two types of systems one being aero wrap and the other being aero wave. Aero wrap uses a super slow worm gear and pawl driven design that spools line like a perfect spool of thread which Intails does not allow the line to cris cross as aggressively as standard locomotion or aero wave designs do. Aero wrap is used also in shimanos casting competition reels as well as the line flys off the spool smoother

material and engineering are two different things.

I would find them to be somewhat related as if the material cannot meet the engineering demands of such design then failures take place...

The new (as in the last 4-5 years) Penn spinning reels are another example: very godo engineering, IMO, but crappy gears.

I would adore a Penn Battle with stainless steel gears, even if they are a bit noisy and do not feel as smooth.

The grandfather of the Penn Battle, the Pfluger Medalist, had better gears material than today's Penn.

I have a Pflueger Medalist 35 I fished sturgeons with for several seasons, using 50lbs braid, and it is as smooth as new; that little reel amazes me.

I have a Penn Fierce 3000 I used the same way, the gears are quite noisy already, after just one season.

I used the Penn Battle 4000 to fish for Giant Mekhong catfish, and the gears were badly shot after just one fish. Fished the Quantum Cabo 40 PTSD and even the old Quantum Catalyst Inshore for the same purpose, and they were as smooth as new at the end of the day.

There is no discussion about line lay until you discuss what lb test line and what type you are spooling.

Very thin braids need one type of oscillation block, mono another and the engineers cannot maximize both without going to a worm gear (as I understand the issues).

If your reel has gaps top and bottom it was optimized for a larger diameter line like mono, not the braid you chose in all likelihood.

If you go to heavier braid you may find more acceptable line lay.

See if you can post a photo of your line lay, we may be able to help. Sometimes something not readily apparent is the culprit.

I have a new quantum iron pt in the 25 size loaded witht 15 lb. Power pro, it reels very smooth and it casts and lays line just fine, i have had no issues with it what so ever.

John, I spooled it with 50lbs Tuf Line XP, so it has the diameter of a 12lb mono, what a 5000 size reel is supposed to carry.

Thx for that and I agree. However, I bet it would be much better with 20 or 30 lb braid. It looks like it was optimized for even thinner braid.

John, there is a problem with the shaft speed (I depicted it with colors in a second picture), very probably due to the way the oscillation slider "S" curve is shaped.

Thin, or thick, the amount of braid lied down transversally is not even, that is due to the speed of the shaft.

The same problem might not be present in bigger or smaller sizes, in fact I am now prone to thinking that what they might have done is they left the same body for the 4000 and 5000 reels, and in stead of using a spool that was just deeper, they used one that was also a tiny tad taller.

Just speculating, but the problem, IMO, is very much in the engineering.

John, there is a problem with the shaft speed (I depicted it with colors in a second picture), very probably due to the way the oscillation slider "S" curve is shaped.

Thin, or thick, the amount of braid lied down transversally is not even, that is due to the speed of the shaft.

The same problem might not be present in bigger or smaller sizes, in fact I am now prone to thinking that what they might have done is they left the same body for the 4000 and 5000 reels, and in stead of using a spool that was just deeper, they used one that was also a tiny tad taller.

Just speculating, but the problem, IMO, is very much in the engineering.

When the line lay is optimized for a thinner line you can get odd stacking like that particularly when spooled loosely. I would have the reel re-spooled via machine and see how it looks after a few casts.

best

On a side note, this is the oscilaltion system used by ABU, which is really good:

http://www.google.com.ar/patents/US6394379

And this is the one used by Okuma, which also works really good (same as Shimano's Varispeed, used, for instance, on the new Thunnus CI4):

https://www.google.com.ar/patents/US6742736?dq=US+6742736+B2&hl=it&sa=X&ei=PYisVLzoFIPnUsi7hLAO&ved=0CB0Q6AEwAA

Perhaps the reel is simply overspooled with line that is too thick. This is not a big reel. It takes 225 yds of 12# test mono. Basically, it is the same size as a 5500 series Ambassadeur. You seem to be knowledgeable enough about reels, but asking a reel like this to do what you are isn't working within the parameters the engineers designed it for.

Does the instruction manual say it is ok to fill the reel beyond the flange? Most reels should be spooled to 1/8" of the flange. You can fudge that a little bit, but you do so at your own risk, or in certain specific circumstances, say, for instance, bottom fishing in water where your drop will take the line back to where it would sit at the end of a reasonable cast.