Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
scottyrich

questions from a newb seeking help.

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Ive read through alot of stuff here and cant seem to find my answers. This is essentially a lot of little questions to answer a big one here it goes.

I recently aquired a CTS vapor trail 11ft 2pc 3-6 custom built to someone elses specs. I got the rod for very cheap and it was in great shape.

The problem lies with the distance from but to center of real seat. As it is now that distance is 24 inches. I would like to move it to 27 inches. However id like to not move my guides if I dont have to. Save alot of time. So here are some specs

As it currently sits collecting dust:

24inches from butt to real seat center.

40 3/8 from spool lip to collector.

Id like to move it to:

27inches from but to real seat center.

Which would move the distance from spool lip to collector to 37 3/8.

The reasoning behind me thinking it would be ok to keep guides where they are is because On my gsb 1321m distance from butt to centee of realseat is 27.5 inches and distance from spool lip to collector is 37.75.

These numbers are very close and the rods have a similar action.

So what do you guys think can it be done or so you think it will effect the way the line comes off the spool and threw the guides?

Can get other numbers for you if that helps. Like spool size and collector size.

(Both rods have k guides on them. But have a diffrent lay out)

Extend the butt 3 inches, and leave everything else alone. This will be the quickest way to do this, and depending on what material the grips are made out of (you didn't say), it will probably be the easiest, too. When done correctly, this kind of butt extension should be unnoticeable once it's done. And because you haven't touched them, you won't have to worry about the line coming off the reel, nor the placement of the guides -- that stuff will all stay the same.

Extend the butt 3 inches, and leave everything else alone. This will be the quickest way to do this, and depending on what material the grips are made out of (you didn't say), it will probably be the easiest, too. When done correctly, this kind of butt extension should be unnoticeable once it's done. And because you haven't touched them, you won't have to worry about the line coming off the reel, nor the placement of the guides -- that stuff will all stay the same.
that is a great Idea however I dont think im up to that task. Will see if my local builder will do it for me. Thanks

that is a great Idea however I dont think im up to that task. Will see if my local builder will do it for me. Thanks

Even paying someone to do this is going to be cheaper than almost anything else.

What's your grip material? If it's cork tape or rubber shrink wrap, which is what I see on these rods, it's an easy, easy repair that will cost you very little. If you were closer to me, I'd do it for you for a six-pack.

Belmo my builder will do it already talked to him but wants me to see if it has been done on this blank before. He is afraid it is going to effect the action of the blank being it is realy parabolic. Saying he usually does it on faster action rods. Do you have any thaughts on this a 3.5 inch extension on a rod this big doesnt seem like it would make a big diffrence but I wouldnt no this either way.

I can't see how extending the butt will change the action. Moving the reel seat up and down the blank would have more of an effect on action than adding 3" to an existing butt section.

I can't see how extending the butt will change the action.

I agree, which is why I suggested it. You're taking an 11-foot rod, and changing it from 132 inches to 135 inches. This is an increase of a whopping -- ya sitting down for this? -- 2.27%.

If the extension is done right -- i.e. if you can't see or feel the seam between the original blank and the extension -- then you will not even notice that it is there, except for the fact that your hands will be where you want them to be during casting, which is the whole point of this. As long as you have a good piece of scrap blank to do the extension, this should be something that takes half an hour.

I have added 3" on the 2 piece and up to 8" on the 1 piece with no problem. I have a group of guys up in Conn. that absolutly love that rod with the extension..