Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chris L

reel opinions

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

I was researching the following reels and was wondering what other **** thought of them . I would fish live eels and plugs and tins on a 10'6 st croix MH casting rod .

the Ambassadeur 7000c3 or cl

the penn 525 mag

the newell 235-5

Just trying to get a better idea on these reels from fisherman with alot more expierence than myself . Im a youngun .

Here's some info on the Penn Mag 525: ( URL removed by Robert Williams and apologies for the indiscretion issued ).

It is truly a great surf casting reel. The 7000c3 is one of my favorites, as well, with more capacity than the mag 525, but not as much of a long-caster. It's a nice, smooth reel with good capacity and an adequate drag, although nothing special in that department. It's also a very good looking reel smile.gif !

The Newell, I can't help you with since I've never used a Newell. They're supposed to be great distance casters, although a bit unforgiving.

[This message has been edited by Robert Williams (edited 08-17-2000).]

i don't know about the ambassadeur...i do know that many complain about the inadequacy of ambassaduer drags....i use the 525MAG and love it ....great casting reel the capacity of which is 175 of 15# mono with a 6:1 gear ratio....i don't own the newell but heard nothing but good things about it...

Well I ownt he Newell and the 525, dotn have a 7000 but i have a couple of 6500s. I would get the 525. eels are only goign so far no matter what reel you use. Tins etc fly with the 525. The drag is the 525 is good also. The drag in the newell is good but that reel is tough one mistake and your respooling frown.gif. the 525 woudl be my choice, its what I use on my heaver with 8 and bait in heavy water for big fish smile.gif

------------------

John M

johnm@stripersonline.com

Robert, you gotta stop with the links?!?!? Nothing against that site, but to be the first to answer a question posed here by handing it off to another site....I dunno, let the fellas here give it a shot, if you don't think they answered it, then you can put up a link! wink.gifwink.gif

Do they mind links to this site on that site? Just curious biggrin.gif

Chris, all three reels are good ones, I've thrown all three but only own the Penn. If you want levelwind, the Penn's out. If you want extreme distance, a stock 7000's out. If you want casting control, the Newell's out. If you want a super reliable and smooth drag, the Abu's out.

It really depends on what you want in a reel, these three are all good reels, but they are each good for different reasons.

TimS

Tim,I don`t get your insecurity about this site. All RW`S link provides is a good review of one of the reels in question.I didn`t see anything for sale,just a review.

Lighten up!

Hammer. wavey.gif

Chris, I own a Newell 229M and a 7000 and have tried the 525. As others have already said, they're all fine reels. The Abu is (comparatively speaking) so slow that - despite the the lack of any mag control - it doesn't much tend to blow up all that easily, and it does have a levelwind which is a solid plus if you're new to conventional surf casting and primarily not bait fishing. If you give your gear regular, reasonable care, you shouldn't find it very cranky or fragile and the drag - while nothing like the 525 - is plenty adequate for most anything you're likely to hookup from a beach or jetty. It might not be a bad idea to add the Penn 975 to your check-it-out list; my 7000 is gathering a bit more dust than usual since I picked up one of those beauties biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Bill Klein (edited 08-17-2000).]

I dunno, it's not an insecurity, it just feels like no one here was given a chance to answer the question, the person who asked it was basically told that they should go somewhere else to find the answer. I guess it's pride in the fellas here, I know 25 guys here who could answer the question better than the guy who wrote that review and it makes me proud when they step up and do it. A link in the first line of the first post to a question to take the asker away from here to another place just seems like the fellers here weren't given a chance to answer it.

Hey, I rarely make any noise over any links here. If enjoying watching the fellers here attack a question and answer it in the deepest of details and being proud of them is wrong, then shoot me...I'll get the blindfold! wink.gif Robert, ya didn't have to remove it, I was just askin' that ya give the guys here a shot at answering a question before sending someone elsewhere for help. It's the pride thing, I know these guys can answer any question...my apologies for mentioning it.

Hammer, I love that smilie biggrin.gif And I'm pretty lightened up already, I guess the link wouldn't have bothered me at all had it not been the first answer..but I explained my thinkin' in the paragraphs above biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

TimS

Naw, they don't mind folks posting URLs to this site--I've done it there a few times. If it's the site I'm thinking of, that is. Now that they've gone to a new format with pre-registration, I even list this site as my homepage in my profile smile.gif He doesn't sell anything. And he did belatedly give me attribution for a post of mine from the old board that he brought forward under his name. I think he just wanted it there and that was the easiest way to do it, copy and paste it and to do that he had to have logged on with his own browser.

Anyhow, chris, if you're new to conventionals, I would go with the Abu. I have all three reels. The Newell is very fast and has no cast control other than a well-trained thumb. Which also can get barbecued by that graphite spool. The 525 Mag is ultra fast with the mag backed all the way off, but the mag makes it controlable for casting in inexperienced hands. The 7000C3 is the choice for eels hands-down, also for night fishing with plugs. Much easier to have a level wind for those slow retrieves. The 525 would be my choice for jigging or bait. The Newell--a great reel back in the 80s, still a good basic reel today, but there are better reels out there now. For most of the fishing you'll do in this area, the 229 size is plenty. No need to go with the bigger 235 unless 30# line is something you'll use routinely.

The Abu also gets my vote, basically good value for money. Alot of questions are asked about the drag, and many say that they are not up to scratch. I disagree, when the fibre washers are cleaned and lubricated with graphite powder, they are as smooth as any washer presently available.

Now with that off my chest smile.gif if you decide on going for the Ambassadeur 7000, I will point out a couple of differences between the 7000C3 and 7000CL, which may sway you one way or the other. The 7000C3 is slightly lighter than the CL because of the aluminium side plates, compared to brass on the CL. Also be aware of the different gear ratio's, 7000C3 4.1:1 compared to the 7000CL which is 5.3:1. Both reels cast as well as the other, and match a 10'+ rod perfectly. However, if you wanted a bit extra distance, ABEC 7 bearings can easily be installed.

Hope this has been of some help.

Regards

Steve

Tons of great advice(not to mention a little spice...hey I'm a poet!)I've been using the 7000 series for about 20 years and they're still my main conventionals.The Newells are nice reels but not my favorite for beach use(deep water cod jigging is a different story)Haven't used the Mag 525 yet but I always liked the old Penn 980 MagPower.

------------------

CMSTRIPER@juno.com

Steve, I hear what you're saying about the Abu Garcias. In fact, I'm an Abu Garcia fan, but the problem with the Abu Drags, at least to me, isn't that they aren't smooth enough. You're right, that can be corrected.... The problem, as I see it, is that with the super-lines and rods rated 20-50, these reels, just don't have enough drag surface to really manhandle those superlines. The SX7700CL, on the other hand, has a great drag and I've never had any problem with it, but it doesn't cast like the C3 or CL. Go figure.

The 525 casts as well as a Sports Rocket or Mag Elite and on top of that, has a lot more usable drag.

But.... I don't think anyone could go wrong with the Abu 7000, even if it may not cast quite as well as the 525. In fact, if I didn't think my wife would strangle me for getting a few more, I'd have been talking to you, Steve, about those reels you've got listed. After some serious soul searching, I thought living to see another fishing trip would be more valuable than picking up a few more great bargains on the bigger Abu reels.