"My Strange Addiction" Flyfishing

Rate this topic

Storch

Once upon a time, I was practicing my Fenwick 10 weight fly rod witth my Fin-Nor reel

on Forth-Phantom-Lake close to Abilene Texas. I anchored the line properly so to quick-cast at

moving fish, to be fit for my next tarpon trip. I used a hookless fly for this purpose.

A guy shoed up and watched me with interest vor a while,

till he uttered "catching anything"?

He turned away his face in disgust and you should have seen the look

on his face as I told him that I was using a hookless fly.

He made me feel like a total pervert. Since that time I won't use hookless flies anymore

when practicing on the water.

I admit that fly-casting is a strange addiction to the point that

fish become superflues. I guess I fit right into these bunch of people

on the TLC Show "My strange addiction!"

http://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/my-strange-addiction/videos/doll-love-lasts-forever.htm

Stroke, you are not alone. I've been casting on lawns, yards, parks for many years. I also get the stupid questions but i've pretty much learned to ignore them.

To me, fly casting is as much a part of fly fishing as being out on the water. I am always looking for that perfect loop and pinpoint accuracy.

Don't stop now. :D

I once impulsively pulled over to practice in the winter , 6 in. of snow on the ground, in a ball field next to the projects . Went from all by myself to a small cheering section of kids and some colorful comments from some older spectators. I've since found better places to practice .:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spigola View Post

Stroke, you are not alone. I've been casting on lawns, yards, parks for many years. I also get the stupid questions but i've pretty much learned to ignore them.

To me, fly casting is as much a part of fly fishing as being out on the water. I am always looking for that perfect loop and pinpoint accuracy.

Don't stop now. biggrin.gif

Amen Spigola, Two of the many things that make Fly Fishing so special....... the feel of that perfect cast and time at the vise creating that perfect fly:D.

BC

Got my new to me 7wt from Tbyrne before Christmas and finally got it lined yesterday.  Some guy asked me what I was fishing for in the park as I tested the rod.  When I replied a 90lb golden retriever (that he happened to have off the leash) I am not so sure he found it as funny as I did.

Would have been a great fight and perfect for me since I am a catch and release angler...

I've seen videos on this. It used to be called "pointless-fishing". I think it was back in the early 90's there seemed to be a growing group of yuppies, purists, and conservationists (not that there is anything wrong with these groups of folks) who began the fad of fishing dryflies without a hook. It was about the thrill of the strike, not the thrill hooking and landing a fish. The job was done if you fooled the fish into taking your fly. I can kinda dig it. I have considered trying it on the Housatonic during the white fly hatch.

Anyhow, strange addiction??....not so strange to me as long as you're enjoying the outdoors!

My adult niece, who is a vegetarian and non-fur-wearing animal lover, loves to go out in the boat with her dad, my brother-in-law, an avid fisherman. Last summer she discovered she could fish with hookless plastic worms and get bass all the way to the boat -- fishing without violating her principles. I call that "pre-catch & release fishing." I'm hoping I can get her interested in hookless fly-fishing this coming year.

One day when I was fishing using Float Tube Pike was feeding very well and I landed two which did not have hook pierced their mouth. One had fly fouled to the "scissors" but one was just keeping his mouth shut. I had read Pikes been catch using hook less synthetic (Slinky fiber etc.) fly so I did cut the hook away. About ten more Pike did bite and although some did release fly fast few did keep their mouth closed long time when pulled carefully and I was almost able to grab one before it was scared. It was very exciting and fun and I'm going to to that again when Pike is very active next time.

Esa

"Game fish are too valuable to be caught only once" 1939 Lee Wulff

Quote:

Originally Posted by IgotWood View Post

I've seen videos on this. It used to be called "pointless-fishing". I think it was back in the early 90's there seemed to be a growing group of yuppies, purists, and conservationists (not that there is anything wrong with these groups of folks) who began the fad of fishing dryflies without a hook. It was about the thrill of the strike, not the thrill hooking and landing a fish. The job was done if you fooled the fish into taking your fly. I can kinda dig it. I have considered trying it on the Housatonic during the white fly hatch.

Anyhow, strange addiction??....not so strange to me as long as you're enjoying the outdoors!

I do this all the time fishing for my cat in the yard. Last week in the Bahamas there were all kinds of needlefish off the beach. Kind of like pickerel in the bass pond, the take is exciting but after that not so much. I cut a strip of foam out of my fly box and used tippet material to make a gurgler, then cut the hook off. Very entertaining strikes and made time at the beach more interesting than sitting there drinking beer, though that is good too :-)

• 1 month later...