Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FliesNPlugs

Wire tool - would this work for plug builiding?

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Bentley View Post

That is a Twistech  wire former, it can bend wire up to size .041, you can get it from jannsnetcraft for $78.39, I have one for making inline spinner, I do not think you can get a tight tail wrap with it, I think you will have about 1/8 inch of free play from wrap to plug body .

If you make your own plugs now, what do you use for the tail wraps? Just curious, thanks for your help!

in comparison to the tail loop, the nose loop is very easy ... it's the tail loop that most get hung up on.

watch the vid by the lordship lures guy to learn one good way to do it right.

Also Jnski do you feel it is necessary to have knipex brand pliers for bending and wrapping wire? I use knipex and other brand pliers and I'm not sure if I see or feel a difference..just like to see what you think..thanks

in comparison to the tail loop, the nose loop is very easy ... it's the tail loop that most get hung up on.

That's the method I use now. I was just curious on the tool video I found, that's all.

Actually I use a few methods. Just not happy with the tail wraps. It's probably just more practice needed. At least I hope it's that. Some come out ok while others don't look so hot at all. But as I keep researching I keep finding little tips and tricks. That's when I found this tool video and wanted to see if it would work with plug building.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FliesNPlugs View Post

Also Jnski do you feel it is necessary to have knipex brand pliers for bending and wrapping wire? I use knipex and other brand pliers and I'm not sure if I see or feel a difference..just like to see what you think..thanks

You don't have many choices. 90% of the round nose pliers are small. Too small for our purposes. I like big tail loops so the tail siwash / teaser could fold better during casting.  That's why I went for a large knipex plier. If you could find other larger round nose pliers, I don't see why not.

Why Knipex? simply because they are a real nice tool. Do you need Knipex? Hell no but do we need a lot of the stuff we have? I just like using nice tools.

BeachBob thank you for all the help. I just placed an order for the knipex cutters.

If you dont mind me asking, how do you get those amazing paint jobs? Your paint is simply amazing regarding your plugs. I'm really interested in how to paint those black gill outlines. Imo it really makes the plug stand out. Thanks again and hope you don't mind me asking.

BeachBob thank you for all the help. I just placed an order for the knipex cutters.

If you dont mind me asking, how do you get those amazing paint jobs? Your paint is simply amazing regarding your plugs. I'm really interested in how to paint those black gill outlines. Imo it really makes the plug stand out. Thanks again and hope you don't mind me asking.

i can barely spray on a single paint color to anything, let alone a plug. all the recent plugs i've turned have been finished by a professional airbrush artist, gerd dagne. the color paint is water based createx and the final clear coat is two part automotive clear enamel. he's pretty damned amazing.

while there surely are tricks to airbrushing, mainly in using masks and friskets and a really high quality super fine airbrush gun (he prefers iwata), the bottom line is artistic airbrush talent and understanding color, shading and perspective.