Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FliesNPlugs

Wire tool - would this work for plug builiding?

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

I know there have been threads in the past regarding this topic. But I am not sure if this video was ever posted to SOL. 

I have an email into the designer to see if this tool will bend 0.62 wire or if there is an extra attachment to bend 0.62 wire.

What does everyone think? Will this work for the tail wrap? 

Thanks in advance 

0.jpg

Also wanted to ask about placing flat eyes on plug blanks. Do you guys bend them to conform to the plugs shape then epoxy? Any tips for making these eyes come out as smooth as possible? Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by moocks View Post

Sure that will make a nice tail wrap..........Your going to have to insert the wire from the tail and hand wrap the nose loop though wink.gif

Thanks for the input. Was just curious most of all. Do you think this could work at all with the wire already through the plug? Maybe a long piece? I wrap by hand now, and do ok with it, just slow with the process, just curious to what you excellent builders thought about this. Thanks again!

Thanks for the input. Was just curious most of all. Do you think this could work at all with the wire already through the plug? Maybe a long piece? I wrap by hand now, and do ok with it, just slow with the process, just curious to what you excellent builders thought about this. Thanks again!

I have also heard and read articles online about wire wrap tools, have you ever used one moocks? Or anyone else?

No and No

I am not sure that device will be able to bent heavy plug wires.  I am experimenting like you as well, not building, just repairs. I tried the method on lordship's video, it's not for me. He made it look EASY, REALLY EASY.  With advice from builder John(JNSKI). I was able to pickup a few tools that made my life a lot easier.

1. get a vise grip, not pliers, a vise grip, a small 6" one will do.

2. To form the perfect hose loop, I got a wire bending jig from ebay / amazon.  Perfect bend each time and every time.  search for JNSKI's tutorial. 

3. To bent the tail wrap. I start with a Round nose pliers, I got a knipex 7" Round Nose Pliers. From a loop around the plier as large as you want.  Finish the wrap with 2-3 wraps, work toward the lure body. Snip off the excess with a nipper/ end cutter, use the same cutter to tuck the cut off end toward the center will tighten the wire tension quite a bit if it's still loose. 

When plug builders said there is no shortcut, they mean it. Only more practices.

I am not sure that device will be able to bent heavy plug wires.  I am experimenting like you as well, not building, just repairs. I tried the method on lordship's video, it's not for me. He made it look EASY, REALLY EASY.  With advice from builder John(JNSKI). I was able to pickup a few tools that made my life a lot easier.

1. get a vise grip, not pliers, a vise grip, a small 6" one will do.

2. To form the perfect hose loop, I got a wire bending jig from ebay / amazon.  Perfect bend each time and every time.  search for JNSKI's tutorial. 

3. To bent the tail wrap. I start with a Round nose pliers, I got a knipex 7" Round Nose Pliers. From a loop around the plier as large as you want.  Finish the wrap with 2-3 wraps, work toward the lure body. Snip off the excess with a nipper/ end cutter, use the same cutter to tuck the cut off end toward the center will tighten the wire tension quite a bit if it's still loose. 

When plug builders said there is no shortcut, they mean it. Only more practices.

Awesome post. Thank you. Definitley researching your info

That is a Twistech  wire former, it can bend wire up to size .041, you can get it from jannsnetcraft for $78.39, I have one for making inline spinner, I do not think you can get a tight tail wrap with it, I think you will have about 1/8 inch of free play from wrap to plug body .

That is a Twistech  wire former, it can bend wire up to size .041, you can get it from jannsnetcraft for $78.39, I have one for making inline spinner, I do not think you can get a tight tail wrap with it, I think you will have about 1/8 inch of free play from wrap to plug body .

Thanks James. Yea I just got an email back. .41 wire is the largest it will do. They may create an attachment for larger wire but that's for the future, if at any. Was curious to see if there is an easier way for tail wraps.

I just have to continue practicing and finding what works for me.

I practice with every video on you tube. All neat ways. Only issue is sometimes my wraps are nice and neat and other times they don't look so great.

I have also been covering the tails wraps w epoxy to help hide any issues.

What ways do others recommend for tail wraps? So far I just use round nose pliers and vise grips..sometimes an Allen key as well.

Thanks.

that tool is useless for me to tail loop a wire through plug. the tried and true allen key in a vise and a pair of vise grips is too easy.