Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JettyGuy

If you have been fishing for YEARS---do you enjoy the sport as much as you did when you FIRST started?

Rate this topic

58 posts in this topic

Been surf fishing for 25 yrs. still get excited when I'm on a good run of fish but no it's not the same as the first few yrs. when I first caught a big fish say 25 lbs I was thrilled now a 25 lb fish I enjoy but it's not the same feeling but my passion to fish is stil very high

I grew up fishing in the long island sound and loved every minute of it, I have so many great memories trying to catch the biggest fish of the day, trying to out do my big brother. Unfortunately for me I haven't really fished in years as freshwater fishing in my area never really interested me. In a few months I will be moving to south west Florida and I have never been so excited to start fishing as I am now. For me the best part about it will be sharing many more epic fish battles with my family.

I have to admit that when i go to one of these consumer fishing shows---I'm like a six year old in a toy store.

Every lure and new fangled gadget intrigues me in the off season,especially.

My passion for the sport is still over the top. I still love watching a really good angler fish. I still love the sport and the spirit is willing.

I just hope that the politics don't ruin it for all of us. I hope our pals, the stripers, bounce back. GLASS half full!!:)

I have been changing from catching: ONE FISH, TO MANY FISH, TO TROPHY FISH, TO CONSISTENTLY CATCH IN EACH AREA.

To do so you have to master all that nature has to offer, such as, tides, currents ,fronts, temperatures, season, bait, columns, clarity, sunlight, and many others. Along with that, the all most impossible task is type of lure to choose, along with, color, retrieve, depth, action, etc.

As you can guess it can easily take several lifetimes to master. That is why it is important to network with all other fisherman experienced or not to get as much insight to this wonderful love of an isolated, confrontation, leading to a battle of wits, endurance, and determination. Long live the learning experience.

Let's just say I've actually spent most of my life basing where I'll live by either trout or stripers. Neither of these means I don't care if I get paid $200,000 a year. I'm not going there. I made a fishing rod out of a green branch some mono and a hook with some chicken feathers tied to it. It's progressed to $800 loomis rods and cts surf rods with Vs reels but the passion is still there and actually seems to be more so now than when I was a kid. I have grown to love the salt and the surf and have become fascinated with learning the structure and bait movements to learn how to better target fish. It's the moments when you study and gather information all year and put that knowledge together in the one moment in time and it pays off. Boosting my obsession to learn more and keep going out. I have been told that I'm not the best for conversation as the only thing that really interests me is fishing.

Interesting thread, I've been fishing on my own since I was about 10 years old. It started out as curiosity , i think , but I couldn't get enough..I strarted out snapper fishing, then I saw someone catch a bass from the canal that we were catching snappers in, and forget it, it was over...I had a rod that folded in half and held tackle in a little compartment.. I had that rod on my bike everywhere I went.. My paper route was by the bay...from there I thought I would fish commercially for a living, I tried living in Alaska, the greatest place on earth, except.... No girls...so I came back home, then tried commercial fishing again a few years later , because I'm an addict..I went up to glouster mass with a friend and caught Giants. Btw, the greatest experience of my life, nothing compares...we did well, but I watched some of the biggest highliners , I mean heavy hitters strike out, they had families and mortgages, it was anther learning experience, I loved it but got into a 30 year iron working career, I'm halfway through that, I have kids, a wife, blah blah and now I can only satisfy my thirst when my schedule allows, I fish with more passion now as I am into this new surf fishery and I'm still figuring it out..the act of fishing is such a small part of it. The planning, anticipation, adaption, that's my addiction, catching fish is gravy....watching my kids fish with great intensity and enthusiasm really is maybe chapter 4 or 5 of my fishing life....we r all addicts...and I definately have more enthusiasm for the sport than most..

I don't enjoy it more or less. I just appreciate different things about it now. When I was a kid; it was about spending time with my Father and Brother. In my twenties, and early thirties: It was about catching. If I didn't catch anything, or caught another species than I was targeting...I was not happy. In my forties: I was happy with whatever I caught. But no longer a meat fisherman... I learned to love catch and release. In my fifties: I became an opportunistic fishermen. I can spend a day at the beach and never remove a rod from my vehicle. But if I see signs of a bite, my heart will still race as I run to wet a line. I can spend an hour or two casting, never even get a bite, and just be happy that I did, I no longer think of that, as time waisted. I appreciate the aesthetics of just being on the water, or on the beach. And it's about spending time with my family again. To loosely paraphrase Eldridge [i think]...There is nothing quite like standing at the edge of a continent watching the sunrise with a fishing pole in hand.

Fishing is very romantic, it is very poetic and emotionally satisfying! Fishing pacifies the hideous hold that life has on everyone. It is the greatest pass time of relaxation that anyone could experience. It is the best dose of medication that anyone can take!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

Two things are absolutely the same now as they were when I first started fishing. First, I wish I had more time to fish. Second, fishing is still for me the best stress-release exercise there is. Other than that, the first years were definitely more emotional; heart was beating much stronger then, like that of a young kid who has a crush on a girl. But these times were less rational and less organized. As your knowledge grows, you make better use of your time, and fish more effectively in a lot of ways: better fishing techniques, better gear, better use of time, tide and spot selection, etc etc. Mature love vs young? Rough ;););)