mitchellgoosen

Opinions on the big plugs big fish theory

Rate this topic

139 posts in this topic

This upcoming season im thinking of changing my strategy up. It seems with the declining bass population that every season I catch less fish. So my thinking is that if im going to catch less fish, I might as well catch bigger ones. Im hopefully going to be picking up a few grs pikies at some shows next year. Now I know putting a grs on doesnt mean the large will come out of nowhere, but has anyone noticed that when fish are around a plug like that will usually land you some bigger ones?

Not necessarily, it will surprise you that small fish will take a "large" offering. I say "large" because it is our perception of what large is...

Consider the size of a large bass's head, and just how large it can open it's mouth. Suddenly a Giant pikie is small. Large bass can easily eat scup, bunker, BSB, tog, fluke, etc in excess of 12". Which is why I said you might be surprised to see smaller fish give that sized plug a go, that being said, if presented correctly and a large fish is feeding I think your oversized plug will get hit.

It better be true because I have bought a $h!t load of GRS(s) in the BST, :shock::D

I definitely thing it's true, going to try and fish some them in my spring spot.

I really think the best shot for a big fish from shore is crossing paths with them in The spring on better said on their way north ;)

To me, the old phrase 'match the hatch' works...I use big when big is called for and small (even tiny) when that's called for

Once in a great while, contrasting small bait with something that stands out can work...but not always

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linesider82 View Post

Not necessarily, it will surprise you that small fish will take a "large" offering. I say "large" because it is our perception of what large is...

Consider the size of a large bass's head, and just how large it can open it's mouth. Suddenly a Giant pikie is small. Large bass can easily eat scup, bunker, BSB, tog, fluke, etc in excess of 12". Which is why I said you might be surprised to see smaller fish give that sized plug a go, that being said, if presented correctly and a large fish is feeding I think your oversized plug will get hit.

Lineseder82

Can not agree with you more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellgoosen View Post

This upcoming season im thinking of changing my strategy up. It seems with the declining bass population that every season I catch less fish. So my thinking is that if im going to catch less fish, I might as well catch bigger ones. Im hopefully going to be picking up a few grs pikies at some shows next year. Now I know putting a grs on doesnt mean the large will come out of nowhere, but has anyone noticed that when fish are around a plug like that will usually land you some bigger ones?

micthellgoosen

Your choice in large plugs is a good one. Gary makes a great Pikie. I myself can confirm the fact that if fish are there and your presentation is on; It's more than likely you will trigger a strike.

There was one time I was fishing a area. I came up on two other men fishing the same area. I walked out another twenty yards or so to give them room, and started fishing myself. I had on one of Gary's surface giants. I raised a fish, and on the next cast had a solid hook up landing her. It wasn't very long before I was joined by one of the other men. I was swimming the plug through and at the edge's of the foam created by the turbulent water. The other man made a few cast and left. It was not long afterwards that I worked the Surface Giant through the same area that the man just walked away from, and landed another respectable fish.

If you plan on fishing plugs like this. Make sure your tackle will handle them. Gary has a excellent web site that you will probably find useful.

Tight Lines

Lou                          

One if the biggest things I learned over this summer is that fish are/can be greedy and big fish are lazy. I was out fishing for blues and stripers using a 1 1/4 ounce bucktail with a 9/0 hook and a pork rind. Kept landing 16 inch Black Sea bass. Another time I was out for fluke and kept landing nothing but shorts using a squid strip and a minnow. Kept fishing the same spot but switched up my rig and starting fishing whole squid and bam landed a couple of 21" fluke.... I'll be switching my philosophy this year to use a lot more larger bait on the theory that the small fish will still hit it but with a greater chance that the larger fish will take the bait more often. To each his own but I think switching to your bigger plugs is a good idea.

There's clearly more to catching big fish than just using big plugs, it's just not that simple.

If you're serious about pursuing bigger fish, leave the plugs at home and fish eels. You'll have a better shot doing that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew C. View Post

There's clearly more to catching big fish than just using big plugs, it's just not that simple.

If you're serious about pursuing bigger fish, leave the plugs at home and fish eels. You'll have a better shot doing that.

Drew

Don't think the OP was ready to go over to the dark side. But I agree.:)

Lou

Drew

Don't think the OP was ready to go over to the dark side. But I agree.:)

Lou

I've gone the big plug route with minimal success. It comes down to finding them and I've found over the years that if you've found them it (considering only plugs) that they'll be as likely to hit plastic (Redfin, bomber, sp) and things like needles as they are to hit giant wood. Again, this is a generalization.

I think big plugs can cull out some smaller fish and are an appealing meal for a large bass. But a lot of big bass fall to teasers as they are slurping sand eels. Also the humble bucktail could never be considered large but it does swim in current and swim near the bottom: two advantages for catching big fish.

Big fish: eels. Best way to a cow.

I think it's all on timing, but you figure I've seen small with caught on huge tube n worms lol but the biggest fish I saw last year came on sp minnows which aren't very big, but hey you put the right bait in front of a big fish and he's gonna eat if it's an easy meal!

I love fishing large plugs , targeting big bass . The key to success is knowing you have big bass in the area or you will only catch little bass . I've caught bass as small as 12 inches on plugs 8 inch or larger . These fish were clearly attacking the plug over territory , The funny part was everyone else went skunked fishing small plugs .Striped bass twenty pounds and up see to be the norm on monster plugs while targeting the correct area holding big bass . My favorite is fishing is in rocky areas of Montauk , north fork and sides of jetties . Here I love large metal lips ,I have had big bass explode on the plug just feet from me ( which scares the --- out you ) I recently had a story called BIG in SCJ I believe you will find it the archives

Dealing with fishing big plugs . The key is having fish big enough to take them sure I've caught fish in the thirties on four in flys and fish just under fifty on 6 inch plugs

But I believe a huge bait presented correctly in the right place will draw a big fish into feeding ( on your plug)

These are a few of plugs I make or have gotten though plug makers to catch big fish

All over 8 inches

Witchhunter Aka. Bill Jakob

I enjoy it more than chunking. It is quite the experience.

You feed em and I'll trick em

You'll notice you can keep up with anything anyone else is throwing except the eel. I do believe the eel to be number one on any basses list. After a live lined bunker The next best weapon if presented properly will be a big plug. I believe bunker heads to be in line or tied for fishing big metal lips. Of course it is situational and you probably shouldn't be fishing a metal lip in 30' of water but yeah you get the point. When I say big metal lips I mean big plugs in general...

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchhunter View Post

I love fishing large plugs , targeting big bass . The key to success is knowing you have big bass in the area or you will only catch little bass . I've caught bass as small as 12 inches on plugs 8 inch or larger . These fish were clearly attacking the plug over territory , The funny part was everyone else went skunked fishing small plugs .Striped bass twenty pounds and up see to be the norm on monster plugs while targeting the correct area holding big bass . My favorite is fishing is in rocky areas of Montauk , north fork and sides of jetties . Here I love large metal lips ,I have had big bass explode on the plug just feet from me ( which scares the --- out you ) I recently had a story called BIG in SCJ I believe you will find it the archives

Dealing with fishing big plugs . The key is having fish big enough to take them sure I've caught fish in the thirties on four in flys and fish just under fifty on 6 inch plugs

But I believe a huge bait presented correctly in the right place will draw a big fish into feeding ( on your plug)

These are a few of plugs I make or have gotten though plug makers to catch big fish

All over 8 inches

Witchhunter Aka. Bill Jakob

Bill 

Great sample of plugs you have up there.  Like the bottle swimmer; There are times you when you gotta get down to it!

But there is nothing more rewarding than seeing fish targeting top water plugs! Regardless of the size..:) 

The Fat Boy Slider was my go too plug this year when the Bass where chasing the bunker. Then again I'm really not sure what the Striped Bass got against Parrots; But hold On...:D