Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cool Hand Fluke

Herring Spawn

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

I saw a school of about 40-60 herring in a very unusal spot yesterday in Bergen County. They seemed to be engaged in spawing activity, one fish would swim upto some extremely shallow water and flap and splash on her side like we have seen pictures of the salmon do, and then another would swim right up to the same spot and do kinda the same thing.

My question is what happens to these herring after they spawn...do they retreat back to the salt.

The typical thing that happens after any sepcies spawns... the women ignore thier men, all they care about is the little baby herrings, the men, get all pissed off so they go out with their buddies and fish and drink beer, then when the women want to spawn again, the men need to drop everything they are doing and tend to the womens needs and it all happens again...

CHF, down here, the herring go up into brackish, then eventually, into fresh water and on the high tides around the moon (new and full), they do their business during slack tide and then retreat back to where they came from. I know this because, the entrance way to the brackish (and eventually fresh water) is two 2 ft drain pipes that you can stand at and actually watch these fish push thru the pipes and up into the brackish water. they try so desperatly to thru these pipes, that they actually beach themselves against the rocks.. It will be happening tonite aruond 12 pm... and Ill be there waiting to live line and catch big basses...

BC

Ill be there waiting to live line and catch big basses...

BC

Caught this one Saturday in the Delaware river above the Trenton Falls live lining...

5-1-04striper.jpg

I usually NEVER keep them, but the guy who took me out wanted it...it weighed 22 lbs and was 40". It ate a LARGE herring which by the way are currently in REALLY thick. Caught another one just a tad smaller, probably 19/20 lbs which was released. Also must have had a Muskie on. Fought it for a while and then only got back half of a herring. Don't know of too many other toothy critters up in that section of the river, so I figured it was a Muskie.

Most herring live after they spawn and retreat back to the ocean. They can live up to 10 years but average more like 5 or 6. During their lifetime they will spawn multiple times, up to 5 or 6 times, but do not spawn every year. During the spawn they loss scales around their belly region, therefore, you can determine how many times they spawned by inspecting their belly scales.