Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bonefishdick

Things that " Annoy " you when fishing.

Rate this topic

87 posts in this topic

I would like to keep this on the light side and not take shots at anyone, we all see things that people do when fishing and those things will never change. I am going to start and list a couple and see were this goes.

The thing I think that annoys me more than any one thing is my phone, I carry it as a safety precaution, that is reason enough to have it at all times, so what annoys me is when I get a call from someone who knows all to well what a "pain in the butt it is to dig out your phone" while your fishing only to have them ask "Are You Fishing" .

These are calls from my fishing buddies who are home 60 or 70 miles away and now they want to chat and it always seems like the calls always come right after you just laid out 70 feet of fly line. I suppose I could look at who called and not answer but after going through all the trouble of digging it out I sometimes get to rub it in because they are home and I am slaying fish. I just wish I could respond like that more often.

Another thing is when after a few hours of fishing is how the water runs down my arm to my elbow and soaks my shirt from casting, most annoying in the cold weather because it just seemed to make my arm itch like crazy all the time. I now wear wrist bands to absorb the water to delay that from happening and ringing it out occasionally. :D

I have more but I am curious to hear what others have as pet peeves.

When I bring my phone it gets put on airplane mode and essentially becomes a camera, otherwise that would be #1. Tourists standing behind me and busy beaches are my biggest pet peeves. 

....or how about when you're in a hurry to get out on the water as the hatch has already started and you realize on your first cast that in your haste you either missed a guide while rigging up and/or some how got the line 360 degrees around the rod shaft half way down the rod.  

Of course this typically happens when you're in a canoe or kayak with virtually no room to maneuver to rectify the situation.

HT

- BPH when I'm in waders (Hey I'm old)

- dock posts when LMBs are rising 60' out

- sandal straps

- the 2nd guide from the tip of my old Redington that is out of line maybe the with of a low E string. It has driven me nuts for 18 years, you'd think I'd just fix it.

- spigot ferrules

- getting swamped by a certain type of vessel that apparently is above the no wake rule in Beverly Harbor

- and Hampton Harbor

maybe I'm just crochety...

The loudmouth know it all, be it on a lake, river or beach.

Inevitably you run into that guy a few times each year. They generally show up late and never stop talking.

Rather then hearing the surf, moving water, wind, wildlife etc, all you hear is that guys life and fishing stories.

Luckily beaches, rivers and lakes give you the option to move around.

SF

Lots of good reply's and I agree with all of them but the one that I can a identify with a lot is the one that just seems to fit with the posters name Sudsy about the three post-coffee pee's when all geared up. :hi5:

These are two of my most annoying problems that seem to reoccur often.

Finding out that I have a new hole in my waders during the first five minutes of my trip.

Getting all the way to the stream and realizing I left an important piece of equipment in the truck.

Coffee. Having to pee, yes. Almost as irritating; having some moron drive up to me in his family fun cabin cruiser when I'm waist-deep in water to ask how the fishing is.

People that stand right behind me because they want to watch me fish.

Boaters that throw huge wakes.

Boaters that see you hooked up and decide to anchor or start drifting through the area you were fishing.

The feeling of a perfect cast leaving the guides then having it snap to a stop half way out.

Having someone take a picture when I'm holding a fish then seeing something like this when I get home.