Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
albacized

Just a matter of curiosity - but what is the wholesale costs of high end reels, such as....

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Shimano Stella SW (let's say, the 6000 size)

Daiwa Saltiga G series (3500h or 4000h sizes)

Van Staals

Abel fly reels

Tibor fly reels

plus any others you can think of...is this info available to the public?

Profit has got to be made on all ends...my guess for Stella and Saltiga's are somewhere between 400-500 and sell to public for 700-1000...yes, I would like to know if anyone's got the real deal scoop on this...

I doubt that you'll ever see this info. My guess is that the wholesale cost is 50-60% of retail and the manufacturers margin around 50% (their selling price less their cost).

My first career was as a corporate cost accountant. I worked for a few companies, one being a well known watch company. Wholesale to retail was about 50% overall. Low cost brands were higher, high cost were lower. I would expect the same for reels. The more expensive ones will have a bit lower split.

Depends on the brand, but high end Shimanos have less than a 30% margin. House brand Okumas, like the ones that are always 50% off at Dickheads have much much higher margins, especially at full retail.

it all depends on the reel or rod though, ive seen 40$ rods that we get for 10. ive also seen rods that we get for 200 and sell for 240. It seems like the cheaper stuff is where the money is made.

When dealing with Imports the exchange rate could affect their margins so those high priced reels may not be as high priced as they appear. With today's strong dollar against the YEN one can pick up a JDM equivelent for 20% or more discount over the US product. Got to be difficult to bring in imports and price them so it makes sense.

32 to 33%

I seen an okuma price list a few years ago from a company in the area that was a dealer and he went out of business. He was getting 35%. Some of his offshore rods he was getting as much as 45%.

He had a few other price list in his records for kmart and walmart and even they were making 33% on almost all the fishing stuff. But most of the stuff he was selling from the major fishing companies he was making 30 to 35%.