Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Islander80

Opinions on the Shimano Saros

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

I am putting together a combo for speckled trout and puppy drum. I am leaning towards a Saros 3000. I would like to know what you guys think of this reel and how it stacks up against other reels in this price range like the Penn Conflict. This reel will make a living throwing small plastics and gulp, and catching sub 5lb fish with the occasional 10lb+.

Thanks,

Islander

Here's an older Saros 3000 in action down in FL.  My 7 year old son caught a 3-4ft BonnetHead Shark on his Saros3000 and 7ft Baltimore Orioles light rod while we were drifting shrimp. 10lb braided line.  Drag handled it very well.  Easy reel to service, real smooth.

If you can find one of the older versions of the reel you will be set. The newer version isn't anything special. I have several of the 3000f reels and they have been workhorses for me I've never had an issue with them.

New ones are excellent. I use 2500 3000 and 4000 sizes for surf fishing and kayak. Can't tell the difference between stradic fj or new saros until I look down. The body is strong and does not flex. The waterproof drag on the stradic is just a gasket on top of the drag tension knob. Look at the schematics it's the same parts as stradic in a graphite body.

I agree. The Saros FA is excellent. The X-Ship feature makes the reel very smooth. The drag has worked well and overall I am very pleased with getting this over the Stradic. It's perfect for my uses.

Thank guys. I think I will give the saros a shot. Its the only reel I can find in this price range with a quality main gear and it has a worm gear line lay. I'm excited to give it a try.

The Saros seems like a nice reel. I have played around with them in the stores and they seem to be very simular to the Shimano Stadic FJ, except the Saros uses a full graphite construction.

The Saros is an excellent reel. It also has the Paladin

gearing like the Stradic. I have a last generation model

and its great. The new ones look good too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tagman View Post

The Saros is an excellent reel. It also has the Paladin

gearing like the Stradic. I have a last generation model

and its great. The new ones look good too.

If my Sahara FE ever fails, I will be replacing it with a Saros. It is a good alternative to the Stradic FJ, if you want a lighter weight option.

But, I love my Stradic FJ's; they handle some large fish for their size.