Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
saltydawg

Help fix my line feed problem on this setup

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Hey folks, I need help correcting this setup. With the Penn Slammer 260 on this rod (it's just an 8' Key Largo rod I have had forever and still like), I get constant wind knots, even though I am usually throwing heavy lures. Other reels work fine on the rod and that reel has worked well on other rods, but the two make a really good combo. You get some line slap, and I assume the distance the reel is set off from the rod and the cant of the reel body contributes to that, which contributes to constant wind knots.

Other than splitting the combo up, what are some options for adjusting the guides to accommodate the line feed and angle. I am attaching an image of the alignment through the spool of the reel, and it is apparent that is a pretty gentle line path. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

What line and lb test. When do the wind knots happen? Also just asking is the line tight on the retrieve. (I know that last question is a no brainier but if I had a dollar for every time I've seen guys have the line loose around the spool complaining of wind knots)

Ok so going down a line size isn't needed. The easiest fix would be to replace the stripper guide with one that's higher than the one on there. I'm guessing that it's a 30 on there now. If you can get your hands on a bhvlg or bsvlg 30H. You really want to push the line away from the blank some. Keep in mind this is a guess based only on what I can see in a pic. The only real way to tell is to set it up and test cast it.

I've never heard of line slap contributing to wind knots, and that looks like a pretty high stripper already. As far as the line slap goes, I would put some talcum powder on the rod and find out where the slap is occurring before I tried to fix that. In terms of the wind knots, I'm stumped.

This might sound crazy, but the spool diameter of that reel is pretty small. Maybe the stripper is too big???

I would check the distance btwn 1st and 2nd guide and I would also look for a smaller guide for the stripper. See if you can get on of the kl--h 's to fit in your layout. If the reel is the 360 slammer you definitely don't need a 30. the smaller ring size will help control the line quicker, the 30 inst doing much for you here with that reel. A highframe single foot will keep the line off the blank and control the line better so you eliminate slap better. I would get a klh 25 and 20 and do some test casting.

The second guide looks too low OR the third guide looks too high but can't be sure from the photo. If you bunch line up "down train" (which you can easily do with varying heights) it can come back to the stripper to haunt you. Plus the original "Y" or "LV" style strippers were pretty good at catching wind knots with the narrow "waist"

+1 on KL-H

I built 2 rods for a customer and he complained about wind knots. I suggested he try a different brand line of the same lb. test.......and bingo it worked. Apparently even braid has some memory and some brands are stiffer/looser than others.

Maybe a stupid question. On the lip baits, are you using a small swivel inline to eliminate line twist? If I was tossing cranks tied direct with a spinning outfit I would for sure get line twist and have the wind knots fly out. One of the reasons why I prefer conventional and bait casting outfits because I can Tie direct with leader, no swivels, no problems.

I don't use a swivel. I have a severe dislike for any swivels and I know that I do get line twist, but a untwist my line after use. I can out brand new braid on this setup and get wind knots within the first ten casts. I have never had a setup like that before; that's why I am stumped.

40 years ago you were not using braid....

Penn's are not the best when it comes to line lay and that is part of the problem.

Braid rods really do need to use small high frames stripping guides with smaller running guides.