Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishguts430

Let's hear your opinion

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishguts430 View Post

Alright I got it I thought they were both poppers the pencil popper is like a walk the dog type action instead of an actual pop action. Time to watch some John skinner videos

IMO, there is more than one way to work a pencil popper.  The retrieve John Skinner uses is the most common and most successful, but there are more.  At night, I like fishing a pencil slow, like needlefish slow and a very light twitch, just enough to splash some water and to hear it rattle a little.  I don't want the pop to be loud and risk spooking baitfish which in turn will push all fish away.  I also like a stop and go retrieve where the lures sits motionless during a slight pause between pops, I've found stripers will hit during that slight pause.  I also like popping three or four times in row and either continue reeling slowly or I just like it sit.  Once again stripers will hit when I stop popping and I also think this retrieve inmates a panic of dying baitfish that flops around on the surface a few times and tries to swim only to flop around some more.

As stated by others they are both great lures and both have their place in my surf bag. I go to the SS Littleneck more often only because I have more confidence in it. I love all the SuperStrike lures !

Super Strike poppers are deadly. Versatile, cast great, virtually indestructible...the things just plain catch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCSilverstriper View Post

As stated by others they are both great lures and both have their place in my surf bag. I go to the SS Littleneck more often only because I have more confidence in it. I love all the SuperStrike lures !

Agreed^^^^both great plugs but the SS are real dependable, BUT if you ask John Skinner he will say Gibbs he a big fan of them... White, yellow and blue is his advice check out his youtube channel tons of great info and videos regarding your question!

Tight lines!

How do you like the off shore handle v.s. the regular handle.

The both have a time and place. Some days they want a popper others they wont touch it and want a pencil.

I love the ball handle.

Pencil poppers can be worked several ways. Point rod straight at lure, horizontal to water, reel up slack, sweep rod to the side for 2-3', reel up slack as you return rod to pointing at the lure.

You can also do the "walk the dog" style by giving sharp jerks on the rod, immediately bouncing the rod tip back forward toward the lure. The slack provided by this move will allow the lure to make wide sweeps side-to-side. As the lure comes close you may have to lower the rod tip to the side in order to keep the action consistent, instead of skipping the plug over the water.

Often, the most productive method is what we used to call "Long Island Style". Hold your rod hand (the one you don't reel with) a couple of feet above the reel, with the rod straight in front of you and the tip up at about 45 degrees. Reel just enough to keep contact with the plug, and shake the rod hand like crazy. This moves it slowly across the water (distance-wise) while violently thrashing and attracting attention. Blues and bass will hit it with a vengeance. Pencils and spooks are my favorite daytime searching lures.

Super Strike Littleneck Poppers can be popped at the surface. Vary your speed and cadence, try pauses, letting it sink a foot or so then bring it up and pop it, etc. You can also swim it slowly at the surface, like a metallip plug that casts much better. Dressed with an eelskin it's one of the deadliest plugs you'll ever use.

I never tried pointing the rod at a Pencil Popper, must try that!

"Walkin the Dog" and what you call "Long Island Retrieve" (I thought it came from NJ?) are the same.

The only difference is the speed of the thrashing. The dance you WANT that plug to do is simply:

You want that plug to advance as little as possible, it remains in place, turning 90 degrees every time you jerk the rod, so it remains on the surface, thrashing left and right.

In reality, this is simply not possible. In order to make the plug dance, you need tension sometimes, and that translates to forward motion. Non-stretch braid helped a lot!

Just remember that you are not at all interested in getting the plug in. You put it where you want it to dance, and work it. I use that "Long Island Technique" and it's a lot of work.

The past three seasons, where I fish anyway, the fish wanted sound. I used a 1 oz. Cotton Cordell rattling (plastic) Pencil Popper (Red Head pattern) and a 81/2' rod. I had fun.

I thought about getting a cordell because they are cheaper than a gibbs since I'm starting out and I'll also get a few super strikes in yellow and blur back silver. That should keep my happy until I learn more about it. Can they both be fished in calm water and rough water what types of water do they need to be fished

I like Cordell pencil! They are slightly harder to work than Gibbs but they fish the same all day and take a beating like no other. Plus they rattle!!