Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishguts430

Let's hear your opinion

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

I'm trying to figure out what people think works better or like more. gibbs pencil popper or SS littleneck. What do you like or use and why?

Two different actions. Even every pencil can be different, depending on maker. Every SS cast the same swims the same. If I want a real long cast a red eye SS is a go to plug over the best of the casting pencils.

its a difficult decision.  SS popper can swim in the water column. plus it can be worked just like a pencil popper too. not just a traditional top water popper. 

Ahhh I didn't know they had different actions. Could someone explain how the actions are different?

the super strike is pulled forward and pushes water for the popping affect, A pencil should have a dancing side to side motion 90% of the time. You can rip it through the water but really you want it to almost be dancing in place.

If I HAD to choose only one of the two it would be the little neck. You could pop it, swim it or just drift it with the occasional pop. It's just a bit more versatile than a pencil.

Mullet or peanuts it's super strike all the way!

How do you like the off shore handle v.s. the regular handle.

The both have a time and place. Some days they want a popper others they wont touch it and want a pencil.

Awesome looks like I'll get a couple of each haha. How about this one. This might be easier. Which popper would you start out with when you get to the water.

That depends on how the water looks and what the prevalent bait is. Bigger baits like bunker and herring I'm starting with the pencil. If mullet and peanuts are the baits then the SS. BUT if the water is flat calm with little to no current then I'll swim the SS even if the bait is bigger.

A pencil is a great search plug. You can cover a lot of water with it. If a fish boils or blows up on it but doesn't take then switch to a different style lure like the popper in question. You can work both differently but I like the pencil for searching if they nail it great then I keep using it. If not like I said switch then move. It's a good choice to get both. Like stated the ss popper is very versatile but so is the pencil. Pencils drive fish nuts and nothing compares to the way fish attack it. I like the 2 3/8 sinking popper. Good luck

Like others said. You can't compare these 2 plugs. They both are proven bass catchers. They both have a time and place that one works better then the other. Or sometimes they work the same. When bass are neutral a pencil can annoy them. Sometimes the slow seductive pop on a Ss is magic

Alright I got it I thought they were both poppers the pencil popper is like a walk the dog type action instead of an actual pop action. Time to watch some John skinner videos