Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pomatomus

Breaking off lures and plugs like there's no tomorrow

Rate this topic

49 posts in this topic

also, check the line roller on the reel, the exact point where the line touches. I have also had dings in that fraying my line.

Where is it breaking?

I had a bunch of mystery break offs with 30lb braid. Turned out I didn't spool it under enough tension, and as I was casting the braid was digging in and snapping at the moment of release.

Is the spool lip on your reel dented, chipped or scratched in any way? Test it with cotton as well.

also, check the line roller on the reel, the exact point where the line touches. I have also had dings in that fraying my line.

good points.

highly doubt it's your cast. what kind of line? how old? checked for abrasions?

Fight, that's definitely a new one to me! My first thought of what is happening with Pomatomus' line snapping is a crack in one of the guides, or tip. As long as you did a thorough job of checking the guides, I would go with as was mentioned and I believe you did as well, the snap cast. I haven't broke off using shorter rods snap casting up to 2.5 ounces, but then again, they were faster action rods. Longer, stiffer rods, on the other hand, I could snap cast all day lol. All in the rhythm! Good luck and let us know once you figure it out.

Yes make sure there are no burrs on the line roller, also check to make sure the line roller doesn't have any play, line can get caught between the roller and the housing and chew up your line

I'd cast a sinker in a football field or along a long beach. If it snaps then go find the sinker and see where it broke. Knot or line. If line then you can determine if at one of the guides or roller based on length remaining.

Thanks guys.  I'm going to take yet another look.  Never checked the spool rim etc.  Will also try casting with lead sinkers.  There's a big field 

across the street i can use. Honestly I've been fishing since 11 years old and this is a first.  Embarrassing.  

I tried it both ways.  I used 50Ib leader tied to 30 IB mono which came with the reel.  Then I switched over to braid with the same

type and leader and continued snapped off lures.  Amazing.  New reel and rod from the tackle shop.