Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pomatomus

Breaking off lures and plugs like there's no tomorrow

Rate this topic

49 posts in this topic

In the recent past I've been using type 200 bait casting reels and Claris rods (west coast).  I then moved to the east coast and started fly fishing in the surf.  Then I got a little frustrated with windy days and bought a d blue 9ft rod and a 500 Penn reel spooled with 30 IB mono.  

Lately I've been snapping off lures and plugs after casting and am wondering *** is going on?

I thought maybe the mono had gone south (breaks looked like frayed ends of hair) so as an experiment I spooled some 20 IB braid and tried that.  Same problem with snap offs.  I've also tried different knots to no avail.  

I'm beginning to feel like it's not the line or knots but the way I'm going through the motions of the cast.  Driving me nuts even though the season is over.  Should have stuck with fly fishing. 

Any advice out there?

snap casting with heavier lures can/will eventually result in that. loading the rod properly is key and unfortunately theyre all made differently. but making sure the load on the back cast is moderately loaded instead of quickly loaded.  think trebuchet rather than bullwhip..

you could also just have a bad batch of line. it happens from time to time. 

your rod tip or a guide may be cracked and it is cutting your line

go to a rod builder and ask him to check or

take a razor blade and run it around the guildes to feel for a crack

oh yeah forgot about line guides...check em with a cotton swab. if any cotton comes off then there is at least a burr on the inside rubbing against your line. 

your rod tip or a guide may be cracked and it is cutting your line

go to a rod builder and ask him to check or

take a razor blade and run it around the guildes to feel for a crack

Pull a cotton ball through each guide - if the fibers stick you.ve found the crack

A chip is harder to find. The razor blade idea is a good one, never heard that before, I use a jewelers loop to look at them closely.

run a q-tip through the guides or use a magnifying glass to check for cracks......sometimes a minute crack can cause problems

Thank you all. So nice to get the feedback and advice.  I just bought the rod about 

6 weeks ago so it's puzzling..but I'll steal one of my wife's Q tips and check out the guides

in the a.m.  I'm used to flipping rods fairly hard because they are smaller and more flexible

and that could also be the problem.  I think seth ACT might also have a good clue.  I do feel 

like I'm wielding a club.  The main thing is fishing is fishing no matter what you're using and 

there's skill involved no matter what the context.  I hope you all have a great holiday. 

Just an update.  Tried running a q-tip though the guides to look for chips or cracks.  No cigar.  I think it has to be my cast with the 9 foot.  I'm used to loading up a fly rod or lighter bait casting rods and I guess I can't do this with a blunt instrument.  I'm also going to switch over to 30 IB. braid and leave the mono for backing.  Stumped for now but no stripers around anyway.