Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Little Jon

Nautilus/Tibor users

Rate this topic

90 posts in this topic

Now having both in front of me and casting them on various rods and with various lines, I can see both are great reels but part of me wishes I had gone for a riptide and NV 8 rather than the Everglades and NV 10.. The Everglades is quite heavy and doesn't feel great on the light 8wt it was destined for where every ounce counts far more than a 10wt for me. Plus the 8wt is more likely to be used nearshore in the kayak or wading so will probably see more in the way of dunkings.

This is what is known as having a "good" problem. Meaning you have super good stuff but it doesn't balance in hand as well as you might like!

From a light weight 8 wt. point of view I'm sure the NV would have been better ... or you use a different fly rod. My Tibor Everglades balances in hand perfectly with an old school Sage RPLX .... or RPLXi ... or some 9.5 foot fly rods I have. And unless you're sloppy or looking for trouble on a sandy beach (dumping the reel in sand, etc.) the Tibor would be fine / very fine. But I see your point clearly.

I have a T&T Horizon 7wt (9 footer) and it is now blissfully married to a Bauer CFX #4 (which has a sealed drag) because of the reel weight benefit. The T&T 8wt version I have is married to a Bauer MX4 (non sealed drag) because of reel weight. I love the Bauer designs ... and their strength to weight ratio. The Nautilus NV would be much the same I expect when mated to a bunch of today's light weight 8wts. But if you step in rod length that changes the balance point in one's hand. I would want a 9.5 foot rod in a Kayak .. even a 10 footer ... particularly from a beach or around a tidal outflow.

Since some one mentioned the Allen reels ... i agree they're great and worth a look. But they are heavier in weight than their specs suggest. Their principal draw is that you get a lot of reel for the money... a $300 dollar reel instead of a $600 dollar unit.

Yes it's a good problem you have ... should I get the Mercedes or the BMW (I liked that analogy). There are no bad dogs really. Just an informed personal preference. Cheers! :D

It's certainly a first world problem and not something I'd even describe as a problem. It's more an observation of the difference an ounce or two in a reel can make to the feel of the rod..

Considering how old the tibor design is, how should you really expect it to feel on a rod under 4 ounces?

Again to your point ... I've often bought a reel because of its weight ... and I've sold rods if they didn't balance in hand with the reels I prefer to use. All good fun I suppose. Catch a Big One!

Tony

I was given a Tibor Signature series 9/10 with a Sage XI3 9 wt rod as a retirement gift. I love them both but not together. The reel IMO was too big.heavy for the 9wt. XI3. So I checked out a few more rods and ended up buying a 10wt sage XI3 for the Tibor. Great match, big difference. Bought a Ross Evolution LT 8/9 for the 9wt, great outfit there too. Love to fish them both.

Very nice! I just picked up a used 11/12 NV to match my 8/9 NV and 6/8 ccfx2. 

Thanks a lot - can't wait until I can compare notes

Btw, I do have a question or two based on what I've seen since I played with this reel earlier this evening. If you notice the model number says NV-G 8/9...I checked the Nautilus site and it lists an NV 8/9, NV-G 8, or NV-G 9, but no NV-G 8/9...is this a discontinued model, something that's new in 2014/15 or what? The guys at Saltwater Edge indicated what I was getting was something brand new...but found it odd that it wasn't listed yet.

The other question I had concerned the knob you unscrew to release the spool...that knob/cap doesn't come completely off when you unscrew it...just wanted to confirm that's how it's supposed to work (I have seen similar features in other reels)

albacized, your new toy is the G or Giga Arbor version of the NV 8/9 or NV G-7. As such, the backing capacities listed on the specifications page on the Nautilus Reels site are:

Backing Capacity (In yds. 20# Dacron)

NV 8/9

G-7 Giga Arbor. WF 5=250 WF 6=225 WF 7=200 WF 8=175 WT=6.6 OZ. 4.00" DIA. 1.09" WIDTH

Has anyone actually used the Lamson Vanquish? I've handled them in the store a few times but just saw that Lamson is discontinuing the line...some really steep discounts for the bigger ones now.

Was probably going to purchase the new Bauer RX for my 11wt but reconsidering now...

albacized, your new toy is the G or Giga Arbor version of the NV 8/9 or NV G-7. As such, the backing capacities listed on the specifications page on the Nautilus Reels site are:

Backing Capacity (In yds. 20# Dacron)

NV 8/9

G-7 Giga Arbor. WF 5=250 WF 6=225 WF 7=200 WF 8=175 WT=6.6 OZ. 4.00" DIA. 1.09" WIDTH

Thanks a lot - but just so I'm clear, the so called 'G-7' spool will have 'NV-G 8/9' scripted on the spool and not 'NV-G 7'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by albacized View Post

Thanks a lot - but just so I'm clear, the so called 'G-7' spool will have 'NV-G 8/9' scripted on the spool and not 'NV-G 7'?

albacized, Here's a video with Kristen Mustad of Nautilus that will clear things up for you.

BC

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFaIxA3nIjE

Quote:

Originally Posted by albacized View Post

Thanks a lot - can't wait until I can compare notes

Btw, I do have a question or two based on what I've seen since I played with this reel earlier this evening. If you notice the model number says NV-G 8/9...I checked the Nautilus site and it lists an NV 8/9, NV-G 8, or NV-G 9, but no NV-G 8/9...is this a discontinued model, something that's new in 2014/15 or what? The guys at Saltwater Edge indicated what I was getting was something brand new...but found it odd that it wasn't listed yet.

The other question I had concerned the knob you unscrew to release the spool...that knob/cap doesn't come completely off when you unscrew it...just wanted to confirm that's how it's supposed to work (I have seen similar features in other reels)

That is eighter a new way they are marking their 8/9 reels or a manufacturing error. If it is an NV-8/9 reel, the Giga spool it will accommodate would be a Giga 7 spool. I would contact Nautilus directly and inquire about it.

albacized, just to be clear the NV 8/9 you can get with the standard 8/9 spool or you can get the interchangeable  Giga 7 (G7 large arbor) spool. Likewise the NV 10/11 comes with the standard spool or the Giga 8 spool. The NV 11/12 standard spool or the Giga 9 spool. The big advantage with the G series is much faster line pick up and to some degree less coiling. All NV reel caps when loosened stay on. 

Congrads on a very nice reel.

BC 

Since it did not seem to be made clear:

Paul Conover started and ran Old Florida fly reels for some time.  He then sold Old Florida to Kristen Mustad, who later changed the company name to nautilus.  I'm not sure, but there may have been "Nautilus" reels sold under the company name "Old Florida" before he changed the name.  Either way, the companies were run by two different people.