Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Little Jon

Nautilus/Tibor users

Rate this topic

90 posts in this topic

Thanks for

Hey Mike,

Nautilus once upon a time was Old Florida. Back a few years ago when the NV's first came to market, Nautilus still offered the Old Florida reel line as well.

Thanks for confirming. I thought they were. I handled an Old Florida reel in Bone Fish Bobs in Islamarada FL a few years ago.

Mike

The shop I ordered my NV from had to special order the drag cartridge to swap from left to right hand retrieve - and that shop is going to swap out the two cartridges...will this do anything to the integrity of the waterproofing/sealing of the reel? I did notice that Nautilus not only recommend the reel owner not to do this, but said you will waive your warranty if you do

The Nautilus CCF X2 has been on my shopping list for a while now. It's been a head to head battle between it, a Danielsson 8twelwe and the Sage 6000series reel. The Sage's are very nice reels and it sometimes amazes me that they don't get more attention then they do.

The shop I ordered my NV from had to special order the drag cartridge to swap from left to right hand retrieve - and that shop is going to swap out the two cartridges...will this do anything to the integrity of the waterproofing/sealing of the reel? I did notice that Nautilus not only recommend the reel owner not to do this, but said you will waive your warranty if you do

Sorry guys. Hit the wrong button on the phone. Anyway Albacized, did the same thing with my NV. Only diff is I had the company do it. Used it on some big fish over last couple of years. Which is how long I've had it. No issues inc/ warranty. Fantastic reel

Sorry guys. Hit the wrong button on the phone. Anyway Albacized, did the same thing with my NV. Only diff is I had the company do it. Used it on some big fish over last couple of years. Which is how long I've had it. No issues inc/ warranty. Fantastic reel

Appreciate that - thanks

I have two Tibors and a Tibor-made Billy Pate. These are the Riptide (10 wt.), Gulfstream (12 wt.), and the Pate Bonefish (8 wt.) models. These reels are, IMO, the finest saltwater reels made. I have pulled on some really strong fish (dorado, sailfish, rooster fish, etc.) with these reels. They have excellent drags - very smooth. They hold a good amount of backing. You will not be unhappy that you bought a Tibor.

lisurfer, older Tibor reels are NOT suited to quick reel changes. They do have, AFAIK, a quick-change series on the market now. My own experience of QC spool releases is that they're a corrosion/sand problem waiting to happen, but YMMV.

Shop I ordered my NV from had to do this also. When I bought my CCF X2 I inquired about this and was informed this was common actions with the Nautilus dealers and does not void warranty.

I handled an Old Florida reel in Bone Fish Bobs in Islamarada FL a few years ago.

Now that's my kind of thinking,Mike, "a few years ago". :D

I have found Nautilus customer service to be excellent when dealing directly with them. I bought an NV used off ebay and needed a retrieve switch. I mailed it in on a Thursday and had it back in my hands on the following Tuesday. Granted, it was one day shipping each way, but they couldn't have received it until late Friday, and changed it out in time for the UPS pickup on Monday.

As with any equipment, if I were going to some exotic place, I'd have backup rods, reels and lines, just in case.

Cheers,

Jim

That was really the intention of this thread, Jim. I know the reels I initially mentioned have a proven reputation in the environments I plan to fish.

I guess I should've worded it better to begin with, something along the lines of 'what are, if any, the common failures on these models and how has your experience of customer service been'.

Now having both in front of me and casting them on various rods and with various lines, I can see both are great reels but part of me wishes I had gone for a riptide and NV 8 rather than the Everglades and NV 10.. The Everglades is quite heavy and doesn't feel great on the light 8wt it was destined for where every ounce counts far more than a 10wt for me. Plus the 8wt is more likely to be used nearshore in the kayak or wading so will probably see more in the way of dunkings.