Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Little Jon

Nautilus/Tibor users

Rate this topic

90 posts in this topic

neangler

Where they called Old Florida originally? When it comes to copying well that is nothing new in the world of manufacture or design. Revolving drum fly reels are about as simple as a reel can get and its hard to be different from others at least in terms of form. Functionally there is scope still to differentiate products from competitors.

Fly reels one would hope should be pretty close to nigh on perfect by now but many still have design and functional issues. You makes your choice pays your money and hopes for the best.

Mike

Hey Mike,

Nautilus once upon a time was Old Florida. Back a few years ago when the NV's first came to market, Nautilus still offered the Old Florida reel line as well.

I have countless reels like the rest of you. Abel, Nautiless, Ari-Hart(trout), and Islander. Even owned one of the Penn fly reels (sold). My first choice is the Islander. I have the old school type. 2- #2's and 1- #3. I've played with many different species of fish, here in the NE-USA, Mexico, and Venezuela. Including some rather large and also very quick. Not once has any of the Islander reels let me down. They're easy to take apart and maintain. Once I sent one of the #2's to be tuned-up. Customer service was impeccable and didn't cost  much. Best of all, can't beat the sound of an older reel screaming as your quarry makes a run for it. If you could ever find one for sale (very hard) buy it in a heartbeat! I would never part with mine. I'll hand them down to one of my kids. Good luck with your choice.

Perry

C Palms,

Like a couple others said, their reels don't feel as solid, well made, or hold their value as the others in the market in that price range. Also don't really like the cosmetics of their reels but that's a personal thing. I remember stopping by their booth at a retailer show and there were globs of lube on the spindles of a couple reels. It was a mess, I walked away after I saw that.

From what I understand, the first incarnation of the company was under a different name. People didn't like the reels, they didn't look good, that kind of stuff. After realizing they weren't going to make it if they didn't change things, they changed names and cosmetic design. When they redesigned their reels, they "heavily borrowed" from other companies on the market; In my opinion, kind of lame.

One guy said he didn't like his reel but he didn't specify which reel. Undoubtly these are good reels. You may prefer other but your reasoning is shotty at best.

Ya know, these guys run a small business building quality stuff and you just blast away with unsubsantiated claims. Do you realize how your BS can hurt somebody's business? "Gobs of lube"? give me a break - are you an engineer? I doubt it.

Who knows why they changed their name - you certainly don't.

What reel, rod, fly, line etc isn't heavily borrowed? heavily borrowed from what reel?

Everything you said is "kinda lame."

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpalms View Post

One guy said he didn't like his reel but he didn't specify which reel. Undoubtly these are good reels. You may prefer other but your reasoning is shotty at best.

Ya know, these guys run a small business building quality stuff and you just blast away with unsubsantiated claims. Do you realize how your BS can hurt somebody's business? "Gobs of lube"? give me a break - are you an engineer? I doubt it.

Who knows why they changed their name - you certainly don't.

What reel, rod, fly, line etc isn't heavily borrowed? heavily borrowed from what reel?

Everything you said is "kinda lame."

Have to agree with this 100%. I don't know the full story but I do know the owner is part of the Mustad family and that they descended from Old Florida Reels. I personally know tons of anglers

who swear by nautilus along with tons of guides who catch serious fish on them day in and day out. The drag is certainly not borrowed from a tibor or a hatch so what were you talking about neangler?

Like I said before, that was from what I understood about the company. Personally, I'm not a fan and I'm just adding my 0.02 for someone in the market for a new reel. I actually do have a design and engineering background, maybe that's why I can be harsh at times. Keep in mind that Nautilus isn't the only small business, almost every other reel company mentioned in this thread is also in that category. The best thing to do is just go to a shop, check out every option, and go from there.

Like I said before, that was from what I understood about the company. Personally, I'm not a fan and I'm just adding my 0.02 for someone in the market for a new reel. I actually do have a design and engineering background, maybe that's why I can be harsh at times. Keep in mind that Nautilus isn't the only small business, almost every other reel company mentioned in this thread is also in that category. The best thing to do is just go to a shop, check out every option, and go from there.

exactly - you have zero substantive information to add...

At least you got the dollar value of your rant spot on!

While everyone is entitled to their opinions the thing that kills me is when folks badmouth a product that they have never used. If you have zero experience with a reel then just say that and certainly you can say you don't like the way it looks or is designed, etc but don't say it is a bad reel or a cheap reel when you really have no idea. Most folks on here are looking for real world experience with a product when they ask.

I'll say this. I have both Tibor and Nautilus reels. I've got 9 Tibors, never had any issues with them but as others have said I won't use them in the surf and I rarely use them wading or in my kayak. Cork drag reels getting wet and getting sand in them is bad news. This mostly holds true for the Abels and Islanders, both of which I own as well and like.

Now to the Nautilus. They did use to be called Old Florida. They had a few models, none of which I liked. I used one for a few weeks because my buddy owned a fly shop and was a dealer. I did not personally like the Old Florida and experienced some issue with the drag. The company fixed it no problems but I was not a fan.

Then they came out with the Nautilus series of reels which I personally think they hit a home run with. These are awesome reels. I've got an NV8/9 with the giga 8 spool and that is one incredible reel.. Oversided arbor, smooth as silk drag and a ton of drag pressure. I can lock down the drag if need be. Very wide range on the drag and seems to be pretty consistent on the drag settings. The reel is built very solid and it is new technology sealed carbon drag.

I also have 2 ccx2's and a ccx. The x2's I might even like better than the NV with the oversized drag knob and sealed strong drag and is quite a bit less expensive. All have performed well and are a solid as the day is long. For the money I think these are perhaps one of the best reels on the market at this price point. Even the NV is well under the high dollar Tibors and Islanders or Abels.

If you take care of you equipment it is rare than many reels will ever let you down. The only reel failure I have ever experienced in 30 years of flyfishing was on one of my many Bauer reels and what happened was a bearing came apart. Very odd as it is a pressed in bearing and maybe it was damaged when it was pressed in but Bauer fixed it no questions asked.

For the original poster, if you wade, kayak or fish in the surf I would get the Nautilus. Also from what I hear from my dealer Nautilus bends over backwards to accomodate their customers and is an awesome company to deal with. They went out of their way to make a special colored NV for mewithin 2 weeks of ordering it. How many other companies would do that for you?

I have heard on microskiff dotcom guys have stopped in their factory for a tour and had their reel serviced while they were doing the tour. That is customer service. Plus it is close for me when im in Lauderdale. Now I have to go to the factory after this post. They will get all my saltwater business for sure. My CCFx2 has been dunked, layed in sand, dropped on jetties and is still perfect plus it has more drag than I'll ever need. 

I have a Tibor Billy Pate direct drive, nice reel, but on the heavy side. I also own both Nautilus and Old Florida reels, both of which are nice reels also. The Old Florida's cork separated from the drag plate, sent it into Nautilus and it was repaired free of charge, even though the reels were no longer made.

The point is that you should look at and handle any reel you are interested in getting, and make your choice based on what works for YOU.

Good choices. I've been using an N/V for 3 years now. Not one single problem. I bought two spools on mine so my reel is my salt reel and my go to steelhead reel. It literally gets used all year long and I have zero problems with it. My abel reel for trout is great as well but using cork drags in salt is a constant worry that you'll ruin something and when I'm fishing I only want to worry about presenting the fly and not getting knocked off my feet by a wave. :-)