Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Little Jon

Nautilus/Tibor users

Rate this topic

90 posts in this topic

Changing a tibor spool is like refurbishing an antique. That's the problem

I've got orvis, nautilus and sage reels. So I've got no loyalties, I know the NV10/11, Riptide and whatever else at that price will get the job done. But I want to know its worth spending 3 times more than my hydros that hasn't missed a beat in the salt and orvis will replace if it does.

Changing the spool on the original Tibor series is not a big deal if you get an extra spindle kit to go with the spare spool.

It cost $70 bucks but it's worth it to me. It's easy to unscrew the drag knob ... pull the spool off and put a different / new spool on. The drag plate will stick to the spool you're pulling off sometimes... but it's not hard to realign things... just a little messy with the grease & graphite lubes. ;)

The spindle kit makes all the difference and is nearly a "quick" change operation as such.... as the picture shows:

I took a pic of this Riptide after it just returned from the factory... so it's lubed to factory standards.

I would take a nautilus any day. Especially over a hatch I have fished big fish with both and the nautilus is so much smoother. Tibors seem very well built but heavier and older technology plus it will cost more than a nautilus ccfx2. Tibor has a better sounding drag but thats about it. I personally like the more modern look, lighter weight reel,  and larger handle along with what I think is the smoothest drag out there in the nautilus.

Quote:

Originally Posted by neangler View Post

I would stay away from Nautilus; In my opinion, they're terrible reels and I hate the story behind the company. If you’re choosing between a Nautilus and a Tibor, get the Tibor; They’re in a totally different league. If you’re open to another option, I would definitely check out the Hatch reel, that’s all I use now.

How are they in a totally different league? In performance? What is terrible? I'm curious... 

What are your intentions with the reel? If you're on a boat in salt water then any of the above will work fine, and its all about personal preference. If you're wading in real surf, not backwater flat calm water, then the reel will be full of sand and dried salt regularly. I do this with my Hatch 7+ and basically rinse it off after every few trips and rarely have to take anything apart to get it cleaner. I've used the hatch for 3 seasons and its just held up really well to heavy surf and sand.

Never tried Nautilus or Tibor so can't comment on them. I have Orvis reels and won't use it in these conditions.

-Matt

I just sold all my Tibors and Abel cork drag reels and went with Hardy Fortuna's and Hatch sealed drags. If you fish in the surf or deep wade alot and get your reels wet or have even a grain of sand in them you'll be dissapointed with the performance of a non sealed drag. Also changing spools especially in the dark is a real pain with the draw bar Tibor's and Abel's

I don't like the idea of $70 for a spare spindle on top of a spool, that, and the fact there's a risk of getting sand or dirt in the drag is why I'm considering something sealed to begin with.

I appreciate the advice though.

This and all my gear wether fly or spin, gets used anywhere. I could be fishing on the boat, kayak, wading shallow flats or casting from the shore and occasionally chasing pike. I'm aware sealed units are the best option, I use an fwx 7/8 and hydros VI without any problems, a beat up old snowbee is what I need to replace but not due to a seal issue, it's just mechanically beyond help. My sage has only been used once so I'm in no position to comment on it yet.

Except the possible sand/salt intrusion issue with the tibor I'm sure I'll be happy with whatever I buy. It could eventually be a case of tossing a coin and hoping for the best!

Hi guys. My current 10wt reel is beyond help, I've narrowed the replacement down to the nautilus NV (10/11), ccf x2 (8/10) and tibor riptide.. Not interested in how fantastic a mako is but am open to suggestions of similar priced reels to those I've listed.

I've obviously been able to handle and have a cast with them and am happy with the balance on the rod I'm using. What I'd really like is user opinions with any pros and cons of each in terms of performance, durability, maintenance and customer service.

Thanks in advance

This is a Mercedes/ BMW argument - both are excellent and more than capable of handlling 99.9% of the fishing fly anglers do. Mako's are cool but only are necessary (and probably not even then) if you are tuna fishing or blue marlin fishing. Two things I like about the NV is it is lighter than the Tibor and you can get it in the mega arbor set up. Fast line pick up is far more important to me that backing capacity. That being said I own and like both reels.

I would pick based on 2 reasons:

1) buy which ever you can get cheaper

2) Whichever feels better in your hand, like the click of the drag, looks better to you eye etc etc.

I would stay away from Nautilus; In my opinion, they're terrible reels and I hate the story behind the company. If you’re choosing between a Nautilus and a Tibor, get the Tibor; They’re in a totally different league. If you’re open to another option, I would definitely check out the Hatch reel, that’s all I use now.

Terrible reels? Story behind the company? This I gotta hear...

I recently just picked up a riptide and in my opinion the hatch just feels better in my hands. I've always wanted to try out Tibor, so when one came up I jumped on the opportunity to purchase it. I haven't fished the tibor yet due to about two feet of snow, so my opinion is a little biased towards hatch.

What I noticed right away was that my hatch had double the drag strength over tibor also the hatch felt more solid, but like I mentioned I haven't fished with a tibor yet.

i would recommend trying to get your hands on each reel you are deciding on and really get a feel for it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little Jon View Post

I don't like the idea of $70 for a spare spindle on top of a spool ...

The Riptide QC is easier. The QC stands for quick change: no need for a spare spindle or tools to change the spool over. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this option before now.

You'll only get sand inside a non-sealed drag system if you drop in in sand/sandy water with the drag not tensioned up, i.e. in complete free-spool.

Cheers,

Graeme

Thanks Graeme, I'm aware of the QC. They're discontinued though and although still available as Spey reels my concern is exposing the drag at all, such as when changing spools. I've been known to be unsympathetic towards fishing tackle!

As I said either reel is an improvement on the reels I've used up until now. I went and checked out a friend's NV10g last night, that's a very very nice reel and his one is like new despite him giving it hell!

The tibor sounds sweet but it's no way as smooth as the NV and although the tibor signature has a sealed drag and quick change spool. It didn't appeal to me, neither did the hatch really but I guess you shouldn't always trust first impressions.

Tibor QC Riptides show up regularly on eBay almost always in very nice cosmetic condition and typically sell around $400. If you are concerned about drag contamination in spool changes, I recommend a look at the Tibor Signature....sealed drag but owner maintainable and superior in every way important to me to the Nautilus which I tried and sold. However, all of the reels you are considering are very good, so if the subjective appeal of the Signature isn't there for you, go with whichever does appeal.

C Palms,

Like a couple others said, their reels don't feel as solid, well made, or hold their value as the others in the market in that price range. Also don't really like the cosmetics of their reels but that's a personal thing. I remember stopping by their booth at a retailer show and there were globs of lube on the spindles of a couple reels. It was a mess, I walked away after I saw that.

From what I understand, the first incarnation of the company was under a different name. People didn't like the reels, they didn't look good, that kind of stuff. After realizing they weren't going to make it if they didn't change things, they changed names and cosmetic design. When they redesigned their reels, they "heavily borrowed" from other companies on the market; In my opinion, kind of lame.