Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Little Jon

Nautilus/Tibor users

Rate this topic

90 posts in this topic

Hi guys. My current 10wt reel is beyond help, I've narrowed the replacement down to the nautilus NV (10/11), ccf x2 (8/10) and tibor riptide.. Not interested in how fantastic a mako is but am open to suggestions of similar priced reels to those I've listed.

I've obviously been able to handle and have a cast with them and am happy with the balance on the rod I'm using. What I'd really like is user opinions with any pros and cons of each in terms of performance, durability, maintenance and customer service.

Thanks in advance

been using Tibor Riptides for any years--great reels --i have given mine little or no maintenance --but after about 5 yrs i sent them back to have them go over them. They need another trip back but it has been 8 or 9 yrs. I have not used the reel mentioned.

My personal favorite reels are the Sage 6000 and 8000 series--

Well this will be an interesting thread. Wave a red cape in front of some bulls :shtf:

After 25 years of evolving to and through fly fishing the salt ... I own reels only from 3 manufacturers .... 1 Bauer (the CFX series is really nice & light) ... Islanders (love the old school FRs) ... and TIBOR (the original series).

Of the Tibors I currently have 3 Riptides (might get down to two) but I like the ones I have so much (lots of great fish Karma on them) it is hard to part ways. Not that I haven't been continually tempted mind you. I've had most every reel known to man in my hand .... but I prefer the Riptide.

When Tibor introduced the series it basically changed the industry. There are very few products that ever become as "hot" as the Tibor Riptide & Everglades were. They are not without flaws mind you... the primary flaw being the metal is a little "soft" compared to the Islanders, Abels an even the Billy Pates of this world. But functionally ... the drag is most excellent, simple yet innovative (at the time of its introduction).

Tibor recently has kept up with the trend toward encased sealed drags, etc. ... But the old school design still has my vote ... MANY times over.

Good luck in your hunt .... as there are NO bad dogs. ;)

Thanks for the input so far guys. I expected the riptide to be popular and will also look into the others mentioned.

I appreciate threads like this have the chance to turn into a battle of the brands but that's not my intention, I just want a reel that'll still be purring away in years to come!

I like Bauers, they are light, have the fewest moving parts, and they're less expensive. The new ones have a sealed carbon drag which is supposed to better than any of the cork drags.

JC

I don't believe you would be dissapointed with any of reels mentioned. All i would suggest is to do some research on Hatch. I have had the chance to use one and was very impressed. They score very highly with the critics, have a completely sealed drag and are super smooth. Good luck with your pick

I have two hatch reels now, a Van Staal CVEX and a Tibor Riptide .... if anyone wants to buy one of my Hatch reels I'd sell it and get another Riptide in a second. so right now I have three 10 Wts .... I prefer my tibor and my CVex over the Hatch. I will keep my Hatch 7 for my 9 Weight.

The bauers do look interesting, especially the price. It's looking like the tibor is favourite right now even with it's slight issues; although I imagine every reel will have it's faults however small.

I have had a look at the hatch range, they're very nicely built! To be honest having looked at hatch, nautilus, orvis, etc. I am still drawn to the slightly industrial look and feel of the tibors; modern reels, while obviously finely tuned pieces of equipment, do worry me slightly in terms of durability

I have both Tibor and Natulis reels. Here is the difference ...Tibor will machine a part while Natulis will cut corners and use an rubber O ring instead .

You get what you pay for. If money is an issue you can get a Tibor on eBay .

I have several Nautilus reels including two NV's and am very happy with them. The NV's performed very well on Florida Albies and Blackfin up to 25 lbs. As far as Nautilus cutting corners on machining, I don't see that at all. They are solid reels.

I also have a couple of Bauer MX4's that I like. I don't know anything about the newer Bauer drags but the reels I have, have great drags. One downside of the MX series is that when you remove the spool there are four separate parts.

I also have a few Lamson reels that I don't really love. They are still good performers and have held up to the Florida Albies and Blackfin too.

I would stay away from Nautilus; In my opinion, they're terrible reels and I hate the story behind the company. If you’re choosing between a Nautilus and a Tibor, get the Tibor; They’re in a totally different league. If you’re open to another option, I would definitely check out the Hatch reel, that’s all I use now.

The only negative thing that i've noticed on two tibors is that they become very stiff to reel when you tighten up on the drag. Not sure if thats a common thing on them or not? But it has kept me away from them. My ccf12 had a bearing failure on it, but other then that i like it a lot. The only thing that keeping me from buying another Nautilus is their sealed drag. I don't want another reel that i can't open up fully.