Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
palaksi

Penn 711 black with bronze emblem?

14 posts in this topic

So I've been reading on this site about penn greenie's and I am intrested about starting a collection on the greenie's. I read there are two rare black greenie's 710 and 711, I've seen the green 711 with bronze emblem and the black 711 with silver emblem lefty. Well I was on "the bay" when I came across a black 711 lefty with a bronze emblem, and I almost bought it but after reading and looking at pics on SOL I decided it ain't the true black but instead a green that was sprayed black. Can anyone clarify my judgment? Thx.

Bryan

There are scammers everywhere. It's getting really bad out there.

I would NEVER pay large $ for a Blackie without seeing it in person (opening it up to check for green paint) or knowing the person i bought it from.

If you can get it for the price of a working 710 then go for it - at the worst you have a reel to fish with.

When Penn manufactured the black 710's and 11's in 1966 they used two different finishes on the black reels.They used a smooth finish and a textured finish.Make sure your not confusing the textured black with

a repainted reel.I have owned both and there is quite a difference in texture and finish.

The 710 black reels are not that rare but the textured black is more rare than the smooth black.  The 711 black is the really rare one.  Apparently there are no records for how many were made; Ive read that there were as few as 100 made/1 hour of production before the mistaken color was realized.  I found one in an antique store in NC; paid $30 for it and a 710 Greenie. 

I have never seen or heard of a black 704 either; Id love to see pics of that one!

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have a black 711 with the smooth finish...One way you can tell is they have a black plastic spool, not painted! I have seen some on e-bay sell for as much as $675.....

post-12960-0-20878600-1438037118_thumb.jpg

Edited by technologist

Just picked up a Black 710 from a member of ORCA. As I mentioned above my friend has a Black 710 and 704. So there was a limited production run on Black 710,711 and 704's.

post-47837-0-73820600-1442267708.jpg

Edited by Bob Colclough

I have a black 711 lefty that has a green plastic spool. all original, I want to start fishing with it, its there a metal spool I can throw in there?