Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Radioman01

Storm Swim Shad Jig Baits

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

I have had more success with the Storm Wildeye swim shads than any other lure...probably because I continued to use them after initial successes.

I also sometimes weight them. Torn ones also get super glue repairs. Some I've had for entire seasons (more than 100x in the water).

They catch all year long, under so many circumstances. This past week, I threw the kitchen sink, only the 4" pearl produced. And for some reason, I sometimes pick up large solitary blues on the 6" bunker (which looks nothing like a bunker) and they seem to swallow it not bite the tail off.

Most of the rubber fishes' Hooks suck. Be advised they will hook you up with your personal best but getting it up a jetty means getting your hand in it's gill before said gill clears the surface.

Peace

How about using strong jigheads hooked with shad body or do they not get the same action as the prerigged ones?

That is one of the ways I usually fish, but the post is about swim Shads. I like to use one of my ball head jigs with over sized hooks on a paddle tail. Doing this does allow one to adjust the weight and sinking speed of the jig.

Peace

The line tie and weight placement in the swimshad allow for realistic shaped bait that is fairly stable and stays mostly level. The eyes, holograph tape inside, paint, and molded texture are pretty good, too.

Bodies for jigheads often don't look as good, nose dive when you slow your retrieve (not necessarily a bad thing), and tear off the jighead sooner than a swimshad would fall apart.

That being said, the variety of jigheads (weights and shapes) and bodies, gives versatility you won't get in swimshads, alone. I catch most on swimshad but jig & curly is close 2nd. There's a time and place for many lures.