TheKnot

Every day carry knives

Rate this topic

1,196 posts in this topic

Every day knives would be a buck folder … as for fixed blades , thee kabar, nothing fancy and it will last  a life time … a rapala fillet knife .. that’s all I need ..

42 mins ago, RL Bucktails said:

Looking at this buck Langford. 3.5 inch blade.  In the below $35 range. Seems good enough for carry.

0A84CB73-0ABA-4976-9CCA-15D2D63ECAE0.jpeg

SMKW when they are in stock are $20

1 hour ago, RL Bucktails said:

Looking at this buck Langford. 3.5 inch blade.  In the below $35 range. Seems good enough for carry.

0A84CB73-0ABA-4976-9CCA-15D2D63ECAE0.jpeg

ls that spring assist? 

Benchmade 551 griptillian. I’ve been using them for years. I have 4 of them and when 3 get really dull I send them back to the factory for sharpening. They’re very easy to open and close, you can even do it with gloves on.

15 hours ago, RL Bucktails said:

I don’t think so, says ball bearing opening

l just looked it up, that knife is a spring assist opening, any knife l get now l want that feature. l'm getting too old two flip a blade consistently.

Looks easy to convert to left pocket carry, which is where l want to keep it.

I'm out on assist knives. Had several Kershaw's with assist and all, every single one, the tip locks eventually break and fail over time making them very dangerous. Any unknown contact and they're springing into action. Last thing I want in my pocket.

On 9/21/2022 at 10:01 PM, rathrbefishn said:

So, I don't know if this is the best place to post this, but I will give it a go.  I want/need to get by grandson his first pocketknife.  He just joined the Scouts and 9 year old, he's certainly at the age where he can handle it.  I'm hesitant to get him one from the Boyscouts-as the quality probably isn't what it used to be.  I'm a fan of Opinel's for a cheap, quality knife but they have a funny closure and I'm thinking a more traditional pocket knife would make sense. While most of my EDCs are now liner-locks, I don't think that's the place to start. Any suggestions? Swiss Army knife?  I know, don't over think it, it's just  a pocketknife for a kid....

If it will just be used for scouting get him a morakniv scout safety knife, its a small belt knife but its made to be a kid's first knife.