TheKnot

Every day carry knives

828 posts in this topic

I still have my first knife that I purchased over fifty five years ago. It is the K55 that was made in Germany from Solingen Steel. It was high carbon steel that held a great edge.   

I must be plain and ordenary but i love my swiss army knife, i take it everywhere.

[img=

You are not alone. Do the Swiss even have an army?

My middle brother gave us as part of our wedding party gifts a Swiss Army style knife w/ our names engraved...  My youngest brother gave us as a wedding party gift an SOG hatchet names on the hilt..  If I get married, what do I get them?

My middle brother gave us as part of our wedding party gifts a Swiss Army style knife w/ our names engraved...  My youngest brother gave us as a wedding party gift an SOG hatchet names on the hilt..  If I get married, what do I get them?

Stainless .357's.

Knives huh, like Ebbtide stated the other hobby, I have a affection for fixed blade knives, but I do have several folders, I always have my trusty swiss army in my pocket, its the only one I feel comfortable using at work and I use it everyday for some chore or another opening wine, to letting my guest use it to open boxes. then there is the other knife I carry which can vary pending on the mood. I have a pretty extensive knife collection from custom fixed blades to cheap ones. Hey Ebb here is PJ bowie that I purchased several years ago its my only MS blade and its just for looking at from time to time. the others are part of the carry rotation.

Knew that stag piece was a Tomes as soon as I saw it.

Very, very nice.

Stag is my favorite handle material.

Here's my stag PJ Tomes MS knife

[img=

I'm also a fan of putting handles on kit blades and do all my own leather work.

p><p>  <a href=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v259/ebbtide/large/BowieBox2.jpg' alt='BowieBox2.jpg'>

The box, sheath, and handle on the kit blade all done by myself.

Nice knives, a girlfreind asked me "what's with knives with you guys" i told her "you will never understand, it's a guy thing". I don't ask why women need so many shoes, i don't want to know why either.

Can anyone recommend a good mini axe/hatchet? Want one to strap on my Bug Out bag, I was looking at the Bear Grylls mini axe, looks decent for the price.

Fi**** i have this mini axe and hatchet like you asked .it's call woodmans pal . It's made in PA and fun to use for all your chopping needs but exspensive and worth it 1831690

I also have a small machete made by a company from el salvador called marbles This thing is also awesome and real cheap only around $12 it holds a edge well and is easy to sharpen to a razors edge . I can't get enough of using my marble it's called ,bolo camp cleaver  CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v80), quality = 75

1 person likes this

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slacker View Post

Stainless .357's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLap21 View Post

Samurai sword!

I like both of your style's..  I'm leaning towards Slacker's choice, but I just need to find a worthy woman..:)

Can anyone recommend a good mini axe/hatchet? Want one to strap on my Bug Out bag, I was looking at the Bear Grylls mini axe, looks decent for the price.

Fiskars makes some really decent small, medium and large axes as well as splitting mauls. The head shapes are good for splitting as well as chopping. Polymer handles and carbon steel heads.

Great old name in the business.

My buddy owns a couple.

I went all out and bought a Gransfors Bruks Small Forest Axe.

Top of the line from Sweden ;)

Shaving sharp when they arrive.

[img=

Old school forged carbon steel with the actual smith's initials on the head.

The heads are set up more for cutting and carving than splitting. Not that you can't split with them, you can.

This little axe is the GB mini.

More like a knife than an axe, but it excels at carving (think killer fire pokers and marshmallow sticks in my case) and similar small scale tasks.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v259/ebbtide/wallymuk.jpg]

Sorry for the small, old photo…

I bought both of these years ago when the prices were much lower, before the GB's became wildly popular.

Excellent tools though.

GB recently acquired Wetterlings Axe company.

I've read good things about them as well. They come in at a price point in between the fiskars and GBs.

I try my best to only talk about gear I own or have used myself. Trusted friends in other parts of the country speak highly of the wetterlings, but I haven't handled one.

Hope that helps :)

1 person likes this