Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JDC

My poor sand sled

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

I know that you mechanically inclined folks have helped me in the past so here goes. My 88' Toyota 4runner (automatic) stalls when I shift from park to drive. Not all the time and it usually starts right up again. Any tips on a fix?

No, it could pretty much do it anytime. It does'nt happen every time I shift from park to drive but it occurs ofter enough for me to have noticed.

JDC,

Believe me, I'm no expert, but check yer hoses. Back in the old days of points, plugs and condenser those were the hazard areas (along with a low idle). Nowadays it's it's tubing. Seriously, look for a pinhole. I was amazed at what can happen to a '92 Wrangler with a bad return hose.

Yer mileage mey vary .....considerably

PaulH

What size engine? I'll check at work tomorrow see what i can find out for ya, if I can't find anything i'll check with the bossman down there see what he thinks it may be.

Tight LInes!

Tim

That really isn't enough info to make an accurate judgement on that problem but I would guess its the map sensor or oxygen sensor either or. When you take it to the shop they will put it on a diagnostic machine and pin point the problem and what sensor needs to be replaced.

Thanks, but,I don't see any chance of getting to MD. I'm gonna try a few cheap fixes (dry gas/FI Cleaner) before I take it to the shop and get it diagnosed.

I'm not sure if cars still have these but my '71 mustang had the same problem and it was the neutral cutoff switch.

The mechanics before the Diagnostic Computers knew what to look for, knew the symptoms of different problems, and knew the first things to check.

Now all they have to do is plug it up to a machine and it tells them what's wrong and what to do, and they get paid $69.00 per hour to do it.

My dad on the other hand has been working on cars since he was 17, he's 42 now. He's taught me quite a few old tricks to figure stuff out biggrin.gif I'll talk to him tomorrow see what he thinks.

You'd be suprised at all the old "mechanics tricks" that just dies off because of computer diagnostic units. Like holding a piece of 2x4 to the valve covers to hear if your lifters are knocking or to the engine block to see if it's a rod knocking.

However, computers do have their problems. We worked on a '98 mercades that was wrecked had $28,000 worth of damage... when it was all finished it wouldn't run, sent it to the dealership to find out that the whole computer system was fried... that was close to another $10,000 to get all of that fixed.

If you're airbag blows it has to be hooked up to a computer to clear the codes out of the airbag module. (expensive)

In some cars if the airbag blows you have to replace the seatbelts also... (a pain and worthless)

what ever happened to the seatbelts that would just latch if they were pulled on real fast? No need for the fancy computers in cars wink.gif

[This message has been edited by sharkbite (edited 05-14-2002).]

JDC,

I had the exact same problem on my wife's Taurus. It was a faulty "throttle position sensor" (TPS) It's a little gizmo that's bolted onto the throttle body and it slightly presses on the throttle to keep the engine running while selecting gears. It was no longer pressing on the throttle causing the engine to stall all the time. I don't know if you have one of these on your Toyota, you can look it up if you have the shop manual.

sharkbite,

Welcome to the club biggrin.gif my dad's been doin it for about 35yrs. JDC not to sound funny by next time it seems like it is going to stall out watch your tach usually when you shift out of park into to gear you put strain on the motor. A couple of things to check throtle body make sure clean make sure engine is running at atleast at 700rpm at rest. pcv valve can cause all types of headaches along with the o2 sensor

hope this helps

mike

Sounds close to the same problem that My son's Probe had. The other sign is to check for a hesitation when accerlating around 45mph. Turned out to be the O2 sensor.