Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jeffw

frogg toggs hellbender wading jacket

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

anybody have one? whaddya think?

I'm looking at the stormr typhoon or a grundens brigg rainjacket I can layer for the cold weather - wondered if the frog togg will hold up.

I wear a Frogg Togg rain coat I bought at Dicks for like $40, it has lasted 2 season so far. It's light as a feather, I stay dry, winner. StormR jacket is like $200+ and if it's anything like their gloves I just bought, I don't want it, the gloves were $35 and they suck donkey dongus.

take a look the orvis encounter jacket, it looks similar to the simms jacket i have that they no longer make

$99, lightweight, easy to layer

"Take on unexpected weather with confidence. Lightweight, packable, breathable, and waterproof, the Encounter Wading Jacket is designed to pack easily. A large, single patch pocket on the left chest holds fly boxes or other accessories. Elastic cuffs with easy adjuster and a drawcord around the waist provide a snug, comfortable fit. Easily packable in a vest or pack when not in use. In two-tone sage. 100% nylon. Washable. Imported.

Sizes: S(34-36), M(38-40), L(42-44), XL(46-48), XXL(50-52), XXXL(54-56)."

I wore my simms the other night in the snow as a top layer to keep dry..also very light and can be worn when it's warm out too..looks like the orvis is the same type of thing

Frog togs wading jackets are good for the price. If you are in the habit of rinsing your gear after it gets salty then it will hold up ok. The zippers are s#%^ though and will fail if you don't take care of it. It does cut the wind pretty good, and is excellent comfort wise while it's still fairly warm. I still use mine after about four seasons but the pocket zippers are all shot. I actually just put mine away for this year. After this past weeks temp drops I will only use the guy Cotten until it's over.

I second old pajamas post, but will add that the typhoon is awesome. I no longer fear cold and you can find good deals on them. I think they are well below $200 now. If warmth is what you are looking for the typhoon is the jacket u want.