Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cartopper

A Simple Request/Favor

Rate this topic

41 posts in this topic

Fishing head lamps and lights. Please stop using them unless absolutely necessary. Please stop shining them into the water and into other anglers eyes.

Even if they don't spook the fish, though I believe they do, especially with larger fish, what is the downside to turning your back to the water and keeping it downward and controlled? If lines are tangled, get to the tangle and shine the light away from the water. It's not that hard and quite frankly, it is disrespectful to others not to do so.

Lights should be used at a minimum. Get lights with red as an option and it won't kill your night vision. What I have experienced this fall is by far the worst and I'm losing my patience. I don't want to be rude or unfriendly when fishing, but if the nonsense doesn't stop someone may get tossed or at least a "discussion" will ensue. It is completely disrespectful to randomly shine a light in all directions and into a fellow anglers eyes.

So please stop. Recognize what you are doing. And understand it may actually affect the bite.

Thank you!!! And tight lines.

First I'll startoff by saying I'm not sure if a headlamp on the water scares the fish away or not. I have seen enough talk over the years to know that it is a no no. Why risk it, I have limited time out and I wouldn't want to jeopardize my time on the beach. I do carry a small penlight. I use it for re tying should I break off or change a chafed leader. I do it at the dune line.

I will have to admit I chuckled to myself the last time out. The moon was 99% full. I'm a walk on and put in the miles. Several people recognized me as the walking man and commented on the bass they see me walking back to my car with. The amount of fisherman using headlamps was a bit much. They all had trucks loaded with gear, dome lights were on, lanterns some had a fire. I'm walking and casting and never once felt the need for a light. Maybe their afraid of the dark :D.

As for shining it on other fisherman in close proximity or on a jetty that would piss me off also.

So use no lights please, John.

I agree with using the light minimally and not pointing it at the water. I've been trying to train my fishing buddy who is constantly shining his LED headlamp directly into my eyes!!! We fish with some kids and I tell them to shut their lights off "so they can see".

Of course if you need to untangle or tie knots that's different.

Huge

And there is absolutely no reason for some of the blindingly bright lights some guys are wearing. I wonder if some of these guys are planning on signalling passing 747's with the things

And FWIW, if you have the light up on your head, you're instantly classified as googan, might as well fish with the spinning reel upside down.

Get it around your neck where it belongs - that way when you turn to say something to someone you're not putting that million lumen beam right into their eyes and half blinding them for the night.

LoL,Yes.

Don't know the science behind it,but red light allows your eye to return to great night vision so much quicker.Any white light causes my eyes to be "washed out" for 4/5 mins.

I feel your pain and like you I just don't understand the stupidity. I almost started a post just like this yesterday, but I held back. I know it has been beat to death on this site before,but yesterday I just couldn!T take it anymore. I had been fishing for about three days and was giving it the last shot before I had to leave to go home for work the next day. I fish a beach that allows vehicles ,so lights are a big deal.

I waited all day for night to,come and finally got into a bite. Along comes a beach buggy totally decked out with every possible amenity you could imagine. He aims the vehicle east and lights up about a 50 yard wide area from the water edge to and beyond the outer bar about 200 feet out. I was about 50 yards south of the four guys he just lit up, but he turns towards me and drives up the beach about 40 feet behind me, totally lighting me up and the water I am casting into. He actually stops, leans out the window and yells to me "any luck."

The next night, same scenario, and darkness falls and I land my first fish of this session. The bite started about an hour later than the previous night and almost everybody left the spot except me and one other friend. Now there is nobody within 300 yards of us and here come the headlights. This guy pulls up and points the headlights east about 30 yards to my left. He stays there with the high beams glaring at the ocean for about 3 minutes and than turns around and backs into the spot. Two guys get out and walk to the water's edge with a hand held beacon with what must have been a 900 watt halogen bulb. After adding some more light to this now barren ocean, they go back to the truck to set up camp. First is the four sand spikes that get pounded into the sand with a mallet. Have you ever heard that and felt the vibration that runs thru the ground? Probably, any fish that didn't leave with the light show, definately left with that.

They took about 20 minutes to get the lines in the water and settle into their lawn chairs. MY TURN! I waited about five minutes and told my buddy I was leaving. Got in my truck, aimed it in the right direction, put on the high beams and sat an watched for about 5 minutes.

First I'll startoff by saying I'm not sure if a headlamp on the water scares the fish away or not. I have seen enough talk over the years to know that it is a no no. Why risk it, I have limited time out and I wouldn't want to jeopardize my time on the beach. I do carry a small penlight. I use it for re tying should I break off or change a chafed leader. I do it at the dune line.

I will have to admit I chuckled to myself the last time out. The moon was 99% full. I'm a walk on and put in the miles. Several people recognized me as the walking man and commented on the bass they see me walking back to my car with. The amount of fisherman using headlamps was a bit much. They all had trucks loaded with gear, dome lights were on, lanterns some had a fire. I'm walking and casting and never once felt the need for a light. Maybe their afraid of the dark :D.

As for shining it on other fisherman in close proximity or on a jetty that would piss me off also.

So use no lights please, John.

It scares fish... I turned on my light to stare at masses of rainfish at my feet one night and what do you know a bass darts out from under my feet towards the darkness. I find constant lights such as boardwalk have little to no effect. I think the light change spooks em. Especially if it's cloudy on a big moon then the clouds come out. Bite usually dies.

I find constant lights such as boardwalk have little to no effect. I think the light change spooks em.

I agree. I fish a pier with lights galore. The bass are not affected and are in the shadow zone. The lights attract bait and the striped ones are right behind.

There's a right way and a wrong way.  Never face the water with light on - RIGHT WAY.  How did I learn the right way? Frank Daignault, Robert Post, Frank Woolner, Sergei DeSemov, Cooper Gilkes III, Milt Rosko, Fred Golofaro, William Muller, etc., etc. ...  The neck light Fred Golofaro is wearing below was the first type I used and served me well for many years .  A decent rubberized flashlight, a length of surgical tubing and electrical tape.  Now there are some great headlamps that I have been using though (around my neck).

Sorry, don't know why the picture didn't post but Fred Golofaro is wearing a great neck light on the cover of one of his books.

This a major pet peeve of mine. Too many guys lighting up the world. A good light is an important tool but it should see limited use. I don't care for the red options, It's night and it's supposed to be dark... I don't see a big difference, also we're bashing fishing, not flying a fighter plane.