Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Speedyreeler

Rod and Reel Sizes

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, but I need some advice on sizes for rods and reels.

I have a 8' 10' and 11' rods that need reels and was wondering if there's a way I'm supposed to go about getting reels for these rods, or do I just throw one on that's kinda close and just go with it?

Thanks in advance!

I'll keep it simple and tell you this....

Abu 5500 on an 8' surf rod

Abu 6500 on a 10' surf rod

Abu 7000 on a 11' surf rod

At least it is that simple with conventional surf gear :)

I think its more complicated than longer rod = bigger reel. Are you plugging or setting the rod in a spike and waiting. For plugging from the beach, I like the lightest reel I can find with the capacity I need. Around 15 oz these days, in the braid era. When I started off surf fishing, I bought some monster reels (Penn 8500SS, Daiwa 5500) that weighed close to 30 oz. Way too big! They'll wear you out fast.

I generally look at the line recommendation for the rod, then find a reel with a similar line recommendation. Since the rods usually have a wider range of recommended lines I'll go larger or smaller on the reel depending on my intended use.

Say the rod is meant to handle 10-25 lb test line, if I want a heavier duty outfit I will match it with a reel that is rated for 18-25 lb line.If I want something lighter I'll go with a reel meant for 10-15 lb test line

Hi, I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, but I need some advice on sizes for rods and reels.

I have a 8' 10' and 11' rods that need reels and was wondering if there's a way I'm supposed to go about getting reels for these rods, or do I just throw one on that's kinda close and just go with it?

Thanks in advance!

It will mostly depend on the type of rods you have (weight ratings), what your going to do with them and the line you plan to use (mono or braid).

Thanks for the advice so far.

I generally use braid and I just set the rod and wait. Typically I fish in bay areas in LI, sometimes the beach but not too often.

Just recently got a few rods for free from a family friend and was curious. The rods I've been using are the cheap sets from local tackle shops, they work well enough for now...

Thanks again for the advice!

I usually go lightest reel that holds the capacity and has the drag I need. I see guys with 5500 or 6500 series reels on 8/9 ft rods, and I just can't justify holding a 20oz reel on such a light rod. If a 4500 holds the line I need, and I am not chasing 50lb fish, it is total overkill.

My general rule is for 8/9ft, use 4000/4500 series and for 10/11 ft, you can go with 4000/4500 or 5000/5500 (depending on rod balance with the guides).