Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nipsip

America's Got Natural Gas, So Where are the Cars?

Rate this topic

61 posts in this topic

Seems like the dual fuel options are aimed at the work truck market and not the passenger car/SUV market.

"Ford has been leading the way in building "gas prepped" trucks—typically a $350 option—which enables any Ford-certified "qualified vehicle modifier" to install an approved natural-gas system without affecting the original power-train warranty. Nearly the entire F-series line, from F150s to F650s, is now available in a natural-gas-ready version as are the Transit and E-series work vans."

It isn't like the US does not have an ample supply of NG or that NG does not have a high enough octane rating (120), or the Fed has not been giving the NG industry $121 billion over the past 60 years.

These dual fuel cars have been around in other countries for decades, but the one and only NG car produced for the US is the Honda Civic CNG.

Not sure where you fill it up, however I did see a NG filling station the other day at $1.99 a gallon.

What is the problem here? No one will buy them? No infrastructure? What?

Quote:

Originally Posted by nipsip View Post

No infrastructure?

Pretty sure it's this.

We have hydrogen cars too, but nobody seems to be in a rush to create the necessary infrastructure.

Infrastructure wouldn't be an obstacle regarding NG anymore than is charging an electric. 

Really?

I can charge an electric in my driveway by just plugging it in.

Can I do the same for a NG fillup?

Really?

I can charge an electric in my driveway by just plugging it in.

Can I do the same for a NG fillup?

yes you can google natural gas pumps the only problem is getting a permit. The goverment does not get the road tax by residents filling thier cars from a home.

Gotcow?, I assume that anyone who was truly interested, would choose first hand discovery on their own.

Originally Posted by Gotcow? View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthered View Post

Gotcow?, no.  

You are just being an obstacle in the ass.

Me thinks you need a reality check.............just sayin. smile.gif

I don't mind you, "just sayin'."

I just thought you were trying to backup discussion, in an attempt to render Little a loser of some longest turd-thread contest.   :bucktooth: 

As soon as a way to make money on NG in vehicles is found, NG cars will be common place

Bingo............... I believe I read somewhere that NG is not as efficent as gas so mileage per tank is a big issue....I believe the carbon emissions are about 20% less which certainly is an uptick..

Infrastructure wouldn't be an obstacle regarding NG anymore than is charging an electric. 

Which flavor of NG? CNG Sucks due to BTU density being so low. LNG could be viable but you are talking Cryogenic storage which will bring the NIMBY'S out in force.