Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
b-ware

Bears.............

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Just read a story in the Springfield paper about a 250lb. bear that went into somebodys back yard in West Springfied. The guys dog started going bonkers and the guy tried to scare it away when it charged his dog, the man pulled a LEGAL postol, fired one shot that killed the animal. West Springfield and the Enviromental police said the man was justified killing the bear while protecting his dog on his property.

West Springfield police: Sikes Avenue man shoots and kills black bear, poised to attack his dog, with single pistol-shot to head

Print George Graham | ggraham@repub.com By George Graham | ggraham@repub.com

Follow on Twitter

on November 11, 2014 at 2:35 PM, updated November 11, 2014 at 3:15 PM

Reddit

WEST SPRINGFIELD - A Sikes Avenue man shot and killed a black bear with single pistol-shot to the head Friday night after it started to go after his small dog, police said.

The incident unfolded about 8:15 pm.. when the homeowner heard his dog barking outside, Sgt. Nolan Ryan said.

"He went outside and saw the bear," Ryan said, adding that it likely weighed more than 250 pounds. "He made a few attempts to scare the bear off. It didn't work and the bear started to go after the dog."

The bear got to within a few feet of the dog and the homeowner then shot it once, just above the right eye.

The bear started started to climb a tree and then fell down, dead. The dog was not injured.

Ryan said the homeowner had a valid license to carry and was within his rights to defend his pet on his property. He did not know the make or caliber of the handgun.

"The homeowner fully believed the bear was going after his dog," Ryan said.

Sikes Avenue is in a rural area, not far from the Little Georges Restaurant on Route 20, near the Westfield line.

Ryan did not know the breed of the dog but said it was quite small and that the homeowner affectionately referred to it as an "ankle-biter."

West Springfield police notified Environmental Police of the incident and that agency, given police findings, opted not to investigate.

Environmental police told the homeowner, however, that he could keep the bear for meat if he obtained a valid permit or tag for it the next day, Ryan said.

Ryan said the homeowner indicated that he would likely do so. "He said he knew how to (butcher the bear). He must have," Ryan said.

--------------------

I have a lot of friends that live in Maine and all I heard about this past election season was question 1 the ban on baiting bears. I saw some astonishing statistics concerning the ban of baiting. One of the statistics I saw was in 5 years the Massachusetts Black Bear population has tripled. It is more evident now since almost every week you here of bears in peoples yards or something else. Conventional hunting methods does not control the population of bears like baiting. Even then only 30% of the hunters in Maine actually harvest a bear. We are going to have a lot more nuisance bears in this state and it is starting to show.

Herald has it as the mighty .380. http://www.bostonherald.com/news_opinion/local_coverage/2014/11/man_out_for_walk_runs_into_kills_bear I may have to re-think totin' that old boat anchor of a .45 around. ;)

A .380 for bears is like the mighty .410 on Zombies...................

As more and more bears take up residence around here I am thinking along the lines of a .45 or maybe another .357

One stole a bucket of bird food from my buddies porch. Took the bucket too. I chuckle thinking of it running down the road holding the bucket in its mouth by the handle.

Bears are cool. I've bumped into many in the woods and only once was it the least bit sketchy. They're good about using body language so its easy to read them. Its moose that make we wanna cary a sidearm in the woods. Those guys freak me out.

Couple years ago a lady in Northampton was watching the 4th of july fireworks from her back yard and as she's laying there she feels a wet tongue on the back of her shoulder. She wheels around and a horrified looking bear turns and runs out of there as fast as it could. She was wearing coconut suntan lotion and the bear got curious (thats the theory anyway). Bears are cool.

I finally got around to replacing this feeder that a bear destroyed last spring. I'll be taking the expensive new feeder down in the early spring and putting up a cheep plastic one during next early spring.1826353

I lived in West Springfield for a long time. I wouldn't call the area near Little George's Restaurant "rural". It's more "suburban" with some large wooded areas.

I had a bear cross my path at Wachusetts Reservoir last year when I was walking back to my car at dusk. It scared the bejesus out of me but I startled it even more because it took one look at me and bolted into the woods.

I used to work in Westfield, MA. I had a few co-workers who lived in Montgomery or Russell or Huntington or some of the other rural towns on the outskirts of Westfield who had bears in their yards fairly regularly.