Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
squidlips

Rosetta and Philae

Rate this topic

50 posts in this topic

I still think it's pretty impressive.

The thing has been out there for 10 years, it even had to revolve around the earth and mars a few times to get the slingshot effect to reach the velocity to catch this thing.

Then it had to loop de loop a bit once it caught it, just to slow down so it wouldn't fly right by.

Even with just it's 60 hours of reserve time, it should be able to gather some useful data.

Comets are older than the earth, they may be responsible for delivering the water and minerals needed to start life as we know it.

But I wonder - can this thing lift off and go back to the mother ship?

what sorta useful data do you all imagine its after or might beam back? im genuinely curious about this, having wondered why the **** we do this in the 1st place for so long. its definitely cool i just cant get my head around the why's & wherefores

what sorta useful data do you all imagine its after or might beam back? im genuinely curious about this, having wondered why the **** we do this in the 1st place for so long. its definitely cool i just cant get my head around the why's & wherefores

The probe has a drill and a small oven onboard. It's going to take soil samples and test them to see if the comet contains some of the building blocks of life I think. That's one experiment at least.

thank you. lets say it does (or doesnt) then what? have we thought this thru?

Then we say...."oh yeah....we kinda already knew this.......Let's go back to the moon now!"

Yeah they are looking for the building blocks of life.

You see the earth was essentially barren until a couple billion years ago when single celled micro organisms emerged, and that's all that was here for a long long time - mammals have only been around a couple million and humanoids a couple thousand.

Did you know that most all planets in the universe are bombarded by flares and other severe radiations on a fairly regular basis, essentially wiping them clean of all life, and since it takes so long - they never establish themselves.

The milky way is fortunate to be between the bands of where all this violence and mayhem occur, so we have remained essentially unmolested for eons.

It's all fascinating stuff.

What else ya want to know?

Yeah they are looking for the building blocks of life.

You see the earth was essentially barren until a couple billion years ago when single celled micro organisms emerged, and that's all that was here for a long long time - mammals have only been around a couple million and humanoids a couple thousand.

Did you know that most all planets in the universe are bombarded by flares and other severe radiations on a fairly regular basis, essentially wiping them clean of all life, and since it takes so long - they never establish themselves.

The milky way is fortunate to be between the bands of where all this violence and mayhem occur, so we have remained essentially unmolested for eons.

It's all fascinating stuff.

What else ya want to know?

fascinating indeed.

lets say we find some blocks. do we stand around, champions of the cosmos & have a big ole "we knew it" party & get loose? how long does the party last? will they make a holiday that leads to PTO? if so ill send a donation. i just dont see where finding a micro speck will lead to anything other than told ya soin & more PG threads of frank trying to dick another mans ass

fascinating indeed.

lets say we find some blocks. do we stand around, champions of the cosmos & have a big ole "we knew it" party & get loose? how long does the party last? will they make a holiday that leads to PTO? if so ill send a donation. i just dont see where finding a micro speck will lead to anything other than told ya soin & more PG threads of frank trying to dick another mans ass

Dude - It's boldly goin. :th:

There's no point really, why do men climb kilamanjaro, why does the muskrat guard his musk?

And then there is the "where did we all come from?" , it just gnaws at you, don't it?

So, yeah, billybob says party on . :beers:

Now it did cost billions, so it ain't a free ride around the cosmos - but what the hell we gonna do with rocket scientists if we don't let them rocket.

And I'd still rather spend the coin on that then schoolin and healin illegal immigrants, or buying formula for baby momma's.