Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
shua22

Cod fishery shut down!

Rate this topic

184 posts in this topic

As I said in the striper 1@28 thread, I hope that fisheries managers learn from past mistakes. Meaning, when the stocks do rebound I hope that they put regulations out that help sustain the fishery for years to come and don't have problems a few years down the road like what is happening with Stripers right now.

This is the time of year they reproduce so if they ever needed it's now. I do feel bad about those fisherman though. They should be subsidized just like farmers are to leave their fields fallow.

That's good in a way hopefully in some years they rebound and they become abundant
As I said in the striper 1@28 thread, I hope that fisheries managers learn from past mistakes. Meaning, when the stocks do rebound I hope that they put regulations out that help sustain the fishery for years to come and don't have problems a few years down the road like what is happening with Stripers right now.
That has been an issue since the magnuson act.... Tragedy of the commons

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Flat View Post

Sadly, I question whether or not the issue is "when they rebound", but rather "if" the stocks rebound. Just look at the Grand Banks fishery up in Newfoundland--Canadian government shut it down in the early nineties and the stocks still are a pathetic fraction of a fraction from what they once were. To make matters worse, the stock was so genetically depleted that the  cod that have returned are not growing to sizes nearly as large as they once were (even though there is virtually no fishing going on)! I mirror the sympathy of others for the fishermen and their families who are out an income as a result of this, but unfortunately it appears to be the last resort. As Troutbum said, yet another prime example of how the Tragedy of the Commons mindset has allowed for the pillaging of our resources.

The problem, especially with ground fish, is that when a certain species is depleted, even if the authorities attempt to do the right thing and completely ban harvest of any kind, nature may take it's own course and other species, such as skate and dogfish may move in on former cod grounds and claim it as their own nursery

But another issue is trying to balance the stocks and the needs of the fishermen at the same time - I dont' really want to say ''to heck with the fishermen' as they work hard to make ends meet - but perhaps the only way to save a particular stock is to pay attention to saving that stock instead of muddling things by also considering other (human invested) points of views

I belive that commercial fisherman should be subsidized who knows there are probably fisherman who will not only lose there jobs but there homes as well I feel as we need to span our horizons on other species other than cod such as "trash fish" some would say. dog fish steaks, skate wings people need to be more open minded toward seafood or else we will be fishing for gold fish in a bath tub

I feel like there are a lot of under utilized "trash fish" that are perfectly delicious. We Americans are pretty fussy about what we decide is 'table fare'. I've long wished restaurants would offer some of these lesser loved critters to try to create a appreciation and hopefully a market for them.

The problem, especially with ground fish, is that when a certain species is depleted, even if the authorities attempt to do the right thing and completely ban harvest of any kind, nature may take it's own course and other species, such as skate and dogfish may move in on former cod grounds and claim it as their own nursery
Now that we took ourselves out of the equation dog fish are the biggest threat to the cod population. They target Mackerel and sandlance(make up half a cods diet). Now with cod almost completly out of the equation sandlance are rebounding very well. This just may mean more food for dog fish with less competition. Its time we start shipping those bastards to Asian soup kitchens where they belong. It may even hinder the grotesque shark finning agency in the pacific.

As an aside, are headboard still heading out for other ground fish and releasing cod or are they just avoiding certain areas all together?

As far as I know they aren't really doing much of anything. Seing how the haddock limit has been reduced, they'll have to advertise pollack and cusk charters

Now with the cod fishery is it safe to assume that commercial catch is mostly to blame for this demise add I never hear of any substantial reports from shore? The species is at an all time low and may never recover but stillpeople are complaining it's there livelihood and are fighting to keep it open or get government bailout..I just don't get it.u use up a resource and want help when you can't figure out any other means or way of life..even Polaroid had to adapt

Now with the cod fishery is it safe to assume that commercial catch is mostly to blame for this demise add I never hear of any substantial reports from shore? The species is at an all time low and may never recover but stillpeople are complaining it's there livelihood and are fighting to keep it open or get government bailout..I just don't get it.u use up a resource and want help when you can't figure out any other means or way of life..even Polaroid had to adapt

Maybe the commercials' could switch over to buffalo hunting or passenger pigeons....oh wait, those are gone too......It cracks me up how NE politicians always do the sound bite or photo op about "those hard working family, commercial fishermen" every time they're pandering for votes. The independent comm making a living off the sea is a romantic fantasy, but the reality is the comm's have fouled their own beds and they would like everyone else to pay for new ones.