Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pure Fisherman

That Very Long Pier Somewhere Out There Anywhere I Don't Care - Last Trip

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

11/11/14

I got to the pier early at around 11:00 p.m.  Once again, there was hardly anyone fishing.  I set up at my hot-spot.  It took awhile, but I caught a few anchovies, soaked them for a couple of hours and nothing.  I was tired and left way before the top of the tide with a skunk.  For what it's worth, I don't ever recall the stripers and bait hanging around so late at this pier this late in the year.  Maybe El Nino had something to do with it?  For those who say my reports were a spot burn, I'd like to say otherwise.  This pier is so big that it is a city in itself.  It's common knowledge that the striped bass will make its way back up towards delta during the fall.  This pier is part of the path.  It's called the "Fall Run" for a reason.  Any time from August to November, the chances of catching striped bass at this pier is pretty high.  This was my last trip for this year, but what I find odd was the amount of shakers.  In previous years, most of the striped bass I pulled up were keepers.  This year seemed to be the polar opposite.  The amount of small bass is a good indicator that the bass population is strong and healthy.  Let's hope that the bass fishing remains good in the years ahead.

Is the following link a great resource for the California pier fishermen or the ultimate spot burn?  I would say it is the former.  It is hard enough that shore fisherman like myself have to battle the commercial and boat guys with their fish finders.  Let us be generous and allow us to share our reports to help each other.  Good luck out there and tight lines.

removed link to other fishing site.

P.S.  See you guys in March when the halibut show up.

Very informative post. :th:

As far as the link goes, while not a spot burn, the SOL does have a specific no posting links to other fishing sites rule so I removed the link.

BTW, we all know that site anyway and I'm sure Mooks might have something to say. ;)

Very informative post. :th:

As far as the link goes, while not a spot burn, the SOL does have a specific no posting links to other fishing sites rule so I removed the link.

BTW, we all know that site anyway and I'm sure Mooks might have something to say. ;)

Not me I know of no other site. Found this one looking for strippers in Berkley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf Hunter View Post

BTW, we all know that site anyway and I'm sure Mooks might have something to say. wink.gif

That's unfortunate because like I have mentioned, it's a great resource for pier fishermen.  Although a quick search on your favorite search engine for "California Fishing Piers" (include quotation marks) will yield the same result.

Not everyone knows that site.  Not everyone wants to...

Pfic aka the fire station, burn unit, etc...

Burn unit, I like that.

Many many moons ago, that was a decent site, hell, i even met mooks from there. :D

I'm beginning to believe you guys are discussing another site.....and that is definitely a no no according to the boss ;)

Please don't start threads about other sites, other groups, specific people, etc, etc. This is a fishing site, not a site where we want to start pissing matches against other sites, groups, clubs, etc. Please keep the discussion of other sites off] this site - thanks icon14.gif

TimS

I can see a mod scurrying as we speak :D

I'm beginning to believe you guys are discussing another site.....and that is definitely a no no according to the boss ;)

Please don't start threads about other sites, other groups, specific people, etc, etc. This is a fishing site, not a site where we want to start pissing matches against other sites, groups, clubs, etc. Please keep the discussion of other sites off] this site - thanks icon14.gif

TimS

I can see a mod scurrying as we speak :D

You would make a great rent-a-cop

Hey PF,

Hope you are willing to play along; it's not meant to be personal.

"Burning" means different things to different people. The policy here is clear and its purpose has historical evidence to support 1 major consequence. For some people old enough to remember, there once existed a world where words/information were seen passing through lips. Back then, a couple of fishermen, maybe a few fishermen, hung out at a tackle shop, a coffee shop, a parking lot or a pullout and sipped whatever warmed the blood after a wet foggy morning of fishing.

If One is old enough to remember a world lacking a lot of anonymity and One was as sick as a lot of guys can get behind stripers, silvers or steelhead, to name a few , then, a person knows the feeling of the "Cold-Shoulder." It's what One got if he walked up to those couple or few fishermen in an attempt to, "Find out where the fish are hitting." The long silent glares were polite responses. Versions of, "Huh? What? Are you talking to me? Who the hell are you?" were also polite responses. What many a young-dumb-ass learned was: If the couple or few fisheermen were friendly and offered up where they'd been catching fish, and went so far as to give you directions, then, you spent your time lost, not fishing. For example, rod in hand, I once spent hours walking a huge corn field in Kansas. A couple of fishermen at the local shop pointed me in the direction of a secret pond.

Although piers, hatcheries and most stocked ponds/lakes are not where I'll be found fishing, Handouts ( the where, when, what time and what bait/lure ), via the web, or not, help to create a climate that sacrifices opportunities to spend hours walking in corn fields. Instead, today, Sharing is trumpeted as generous. Sharing freely, openly with your fellow man is a sign of the evolution of the modern man. One of many results, is that "Discovery" has come to mean finding forums where information flows supposedly freely. I'd beg to differ that it's free.

The cost? I'd like to know what you and others think.

I'm not 'anti-computer' or anti-sharing.

I agree: There appears to be a larger than 'normal' number of punky stripers this year. But, it also appears that a white rabbit can be pulled from a black top-hat. It appears safe to assume that there might be a couple of competing ideas other than the larger than normal numbers indicate a healthy population.