Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nickd9283

Do carbon fiber grips bend/flex??

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

So im in the middle of a build on a BH cape cod special 350g jigging rod and i came across an interesting thread on *******. Kil Song had mentioned a 450g Black Hole Cape Cod Special breaking at 30lbs of drag when the rod has been proven capable of a 100lb lift... and upon manufacturer review.. It broke due to the aluminum reel seat. Apparently aluminum reel seats arent a good idea for fully parabolic rods as it puts excessive pressure in the rod on the front and back of the seat. In this case mentioned, the rod had broken directly under the seat.

My current build requires the use of carbon grips in order to place decals on them. I just paid close to $500 just for the graphic design of the decals not including the actual price of the grips themselves, and im now worried that my 350g blank is at risk of the same fate if a heavy fish causes the rod to bend as far as the grip. Anyone know if these types of grips flex at all? Im not expecting the same flexibility as foam grips, but at this point, any flexibility would help ease my mind. I originally planned on an alps reel seat but i very quickly decided to go with a heavy duty fuji graphite.

I’ve been making carbon sleeve over foam core grips for my own inshore rod use. I pulled out a 15” grip that is not on a rod. This grip is 1.15” outside diameter and a 3/8” inside diameter. It has not been reamed out to fit any particular rod. It is made with 6 lb. foam. That is, a cubic foot weighs 6 lb. Sometimes 8 lb. foam is used for off shore rods like yours. After bending it over my knee I can tell you it forms a slight arch.

It won't break the blank that I can say but depending on deep a bend you have on the blank who knows what it'll do to the grip. Eventually it might crack the grips finish if bent enough or repeated enough. Every Japanese jig rod I have seen uses EVA or Hypalon type grips. I carbon grips on some pretty parobolic rods and these are over cork I have not seem a problem. I wouldn't use an Aluminum reel seat either..

The rod may not have broken if a shear edge was not present on that metal seat. Do you know how that metal seat was fixed to the rod that broke? It is possible to avoid shear edges by the correct usage of arbors. If a strong enough pure carbon grip no foam interior was epoxied directly to the rod shaft and the rod can bend right down to the edge of the carbon grip then it is possible that the rod blank could be compromised as a shear edge has been set up.

Mike

Bob Meiser who builds full flex two-handed fly rods will not install decretive wood rings of more than 1/2" wide near the top of a grip to prevent such a thing happening - at least that used to be his policy. It may have changed over the years.

I have installed a number of carbon grips on my personal single handed fly rods as well as for customers. I always install neoprene "O" rings in a ported area between the blank and the skin of the grip up top. When flexed the blank will rub on the skin and ultimately break form the groove being cut in the blank.

I don't know about flex in longer grips - short fly grips do not flex. I will tell you that you are shortening the resistance arm of the fulcrum by holding the upper grip on a rod like you are building. So it does not matter if the grip flexes over-all. It will not flex with hand up tight to the end of the grip.

BTW - every carbon fiber grip I installed has been ground off within a year and replaced with cork. Carbon fiber grips are very slippery when wet with saltwater - and are punishing on the hand (Hard) - and cold in winter. They are pretty though.

If you are going to use them make sure that you port the front of the grip and install something yielding like a heavy neoprene "O" ring.

Regards,

Herb

Thank you Herb, that is very useful info. I was planning on having Chad Huderle round off the edges of the grip with an arbor, but that neoprene o-ring suggestion is great, I will probably combine both ideas. As for the grip being slippery and hard, I've heard mixed reviews on how slippery they are. But either way, I use padded batting gloves when fishing heavy drags and have never had a problem with slip or comfort so that shouldn't be a problem. Thanks again for the tip. I may just have to be cautious of how heavy I set my drag

Nick

The gloves will help.

Re slippery with bare hands :the grips get "grippier" when wet with fresh tap water

But slippery with saltwater.

That fooled me initially.

Then tried texturing finish.

That made it worse

So that could be why you are hearing mixed opinions.

Herb

Thanks guys, decided I don't want to risk breaking such a beautiful blank. But the design for the grips has already been paid for (and was FAR from cheap)... So im doing what any good little fishing gearslut should do..... I just ordered an OTI oceanxtreme 7'6" 60-80lb popping rod :)

Going to build my "themed rod" on that blank instead since its a fast action rod and saw pictures of it only barely bending to the handle on a 30lb lift, which I'll only be using 20lbs of drag. So it shouldnt be an issue. Thanks for everyone's help. I love you all, even if my wallet doesn't.