Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bayyaker54

Moving a reel seat

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

I have a 10' lami super surf one piece and was wondering if there was a shop in Monmouth/ocean co that could move the reel seat up , or if it had to be cut, replace it in the new position.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bayyaker54 View Post

I have a 10' lami super surf one piece and was wondering if there was a shop in Monmouth/ocean co that could move the reel seat up , or if it had to be cut, replace it in the new position.

Have them cut it off. Then re-wrap the butt all the way and tape your reel on wherever you want it.

Talk to Mike at Grumpy's - he is in the AM. If no guide on the butt section relatively easy mod, but will require handle work, at least below the new reel seat position. Assuming your handle material is cork tape, what I have done very successfully for myself and others is to "level patch" the gap where the reel seat was with cork tape, and put x-flox shrink wrap the entire length of the handle (requires finish wrap and epoxy at the top). then I tape a Fuji Plate type reel seat (use the one with the liner under the reel hoods) until I have nailed down the location I want ( usually takes a couple of month of testing). Finally, I wrap the seat in place using black 50 lb test Dacron (Grump'ys carries this) and epoxy the wraps.

Hope this helps.

Talk to Mike at Grumpy's - he is in the AM. If no guide on the butt section relatively easy mod, but will require handle work, at least below the new reel seat position. Assuming your handle material is cork tape, what I have done very successfully for myself and others is to "level patch" the gap where the reel seat was with cork tape, and put x-flox shrink wrap the entire length of the handle (requires finish wrap and epoxy at the top). then I tape a Fuji Plate type reel seat (use the one with the liner under the reel hoods) until I have nailed down the location I want ( usually takes a couple of month of testing). Finally, I wrap the seat in place using black 50 lb test Dacron (Grump'ys carries this) and epoxy the wraps.

Hope this helps.

Thank you, I will give them a call.

Have them add an extension to the butt end. When they rewrap the lower handle you will not know it was modified.

I'll have to ask what options I have. FYI, still lovin that Rainshadow you sold me.