Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
blackdogfish

Waders: Breathable vs. neoprene

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

Old Cabelas 5mm neoprene starting to leak at stockingfoot seams (at feet). Lasted years. Will try to repair with Aquaseal.

I really need new waders soon for summer/freshwater and saltwater use. The 5 neoprene's get a bit sweaty July-August.

If I get breathables. and put fleece underneath, how are they going to be in the surf May-June and Sept-Nov?

(Never worn breathables)

They're more expensive so want to see if I could make them do all-year duty.

I started with neoprene and they worked good for a few years except being very heavy. Once those wore out switched to breathable a couple years ago and they are much more comfortable to wear. Like Johnny said when it get cold just layer up. Having a surf top type jacket helps too.

Once you wear breathables you will most likely never even consider wearing neoprene again. I suggest LL Beans, not because they are the best, because they have a lifetime guarantee, no questions asked.

Once you wear breathables you will most likely never even consider wearing neoprene again. I suggest LL Beans, not because they are the best, because they have a lifetime guarantee, no questions asked.

Depends on the time of year your fishing. Summer breathables are great. Fall and winter fishing I would recommend 5mm neoprene. Boot foot waders are warmer than stocking foot. I guess the best is to have a good pair of both.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tryan View Post

I just had a thread on waders a week or so ago, between advice on here and online research. LL Beam Breathable Boot Foot seems to be best for year round. The Flyweights are $199.99 and The Emerger ll are $279.99. The average pair last 2 years, with these you will never have to pay for them again.

Check out the Simms Drift stocking foot waders at sierra trading post. I've had them for one season, love them and they have them at a good ($119)price. I have neo's for steelhead in the winter but I'm out all day in the winter.

Breathables are real nice you just need to layer up!

Check out the Simms Drift stocking foot waders at sierra trading post. I've had them for one season, love them and they have them at a good ($119)price. I have neo's for steelhead in the winter but I'm out all day in the winter.

Breathables are real nice you just need to layer up!

I went to look at the Simms Drifts where you recommended. Good price for a good brand name. Several complaints on leaking. Made in Chine. Probably inconsistent quality control.

Then looked at the Simms Headwaters on the same site. Those are $340 waders for $230. Good value there, Not bad. Really well reviewed. Made in USA. hey- how about that! I like the features and more robust-appearing construction. Vendor 30 day warranty for store credit. Simms will give a 30-days refund or exchange on anything that leaks in the first thirty days. then, for the first year of ownership, any damage repair will be provided by Simms for free. After that, it's a lifetime guarantee against defects in material or workmanship. So- by that time- not too much. They also state that they will not accept anything dirty or worn..???...so, go figure.

Then went on over to the popular site based in Maine.

Kennebec Superseams. Also $240. Made in China. Features also look good, very robust, well-rated. LLBean customer satisfaction guarantee. Seems hard to beat.

Thoughts between the Simms Headwaters and the Bean Kennebec Superseams?

Breathables.

If it's really cold dress the way you would for skiing. Wicking underwear, breathable overwear, then breathable waders.

Sweat and moisture are the enemy.

Ski shops are the best places to buy fishing clothes, especially during their spring closeout sales.

Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post

Breathables.

If it's really cold dress the way you would for skiing. Wicking underwear, breathable overwear, then breathable waders.

Sweat and moisture are the enemy.

Ski shops are the best places to buy fishing clothes, especially during their spring closeout sales.

If you could only own one or the other I agree with Breathables all the way.  Sound advice on the Ski Shop closeout sales. :th:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazymanfishing View Post

Depends on the time of year your fishing. Summer breathables are great. Fall and winter fishing I would recommend 5mm neoprene. Boot foot waders are warmer than stocking foot. I guess the best is to have a good pair of both.

I am with you.  Neoprene loses the all-purpose, all weather, all year argument. BUT...it does fit the bill for "some purpose", some weather, and some of the year :D

I just had a thread on waders a week or so ago, between advice on here and online research. LL Beam Breathable Boot Foot seems to be best for year round. The Flyweights are $199.99 and The Emerger ll are $279.99. The average pair last 2 years, with these you will never have to pay for them again.

Just bought the Emerger II. Came out to $223 with the 20% off coupon they send out in the email every other week.

Quote:

Originally Posted by a68rs View Post

Just bought the Emerger II. Came out to $223 with the 20% off coupon they send out in the email every other week.

Nice, that's a great deal..