BrianBM

The new inlet

Rate this topic

49 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, fatbikerjoe said:

....  Beautiful isolated spot, except for the occasional dude with the baloney pony jumping around.

Sorry Joe

I will cover up next time.

Some musing on the new olde Inlet. About seven years ago before Sandy my son and I paddled out to John Boyle Island, which is a bit northeast of the inlet, from a Carmen’s River launch in the Wertheim National Wildlife Refuge, in cheap Ocean Beach 10ft kayaks purchased at Dick’s. It was a grueling trip but we didn’t know the tidal currents and planned poorly so we may have been paddling against the tide. In any case, I wouldn’t recommend this as a route to the inlet because there is still a ways to go from John Boyle Island unless you are a pro kayaker with the sleekest hulls that glide effortlessly through chop or have the best pedal drive. Curiously on the way to the inlet south west of Jon Boyle Island you might pass Pelican Island which is named for pelicans that frequent it during the summer. This area is the northernmost limit of pelicans on the east coast of the US and we saw a couple pelicans around John Boyle Island on our excursion. John Boyle Island  Island is incredible with its raw savage beauty lacking any human imprints. I’ve never fished or been to the New Olde Onlet but I think the fat tire bike from Smith Point is the best way to go or you could always walk and it should be a great place to fish since the works of man have not ruined it yet. You can the appreciate the power of Sinnecock inlet while casting from the jettys but that doesn’t compare to experiencing works of nature like Nausett Inlet on Cape Cod or the New Olde Inlet which don’t or didn’t bare the stamp of human meddling or the Army Corp of Engineers. For all I know Nausett Inlet is completely changed but in 1971 it was wild as it seems the New Olde Inlet is today.

Edited by flyrad10
More info

I have made that walk several times this season to "The Breach".  Best thing is that there are no crowds. Then after Labor Day when the permits go on sale it can get a bit crowded.  Just be careful when fishing there as it can be, and is a dangerous place.  

sb

Edited by Stripedbass50lbs
spelling

One could also take a kayak from Smith Point which may not be difficult on certain tides and plan accordingly to fish the breach or beach the kayak near the breach and walk around. Are there kayak launch sites in Smith Point Park or over the bridge  on Fire Island? Anyone ever do this?

37 mins ago, flyrad10 said:

One could also take a kayak from Smith Point which may not be difficult on certain tides and plan accordingly to fish the breach or beach the kayak near the breach and walk around. Are there kayak launch sites in Smith Point Park or over the bridge  on Fire Island? Anyone ever do this?

You could put a kayak in under the bridge or by the fishing pier, there is a small piece of beach there on the bay side.  I would just be careful of the current, it can really move.

17 hours ago, GarbageFish said:

access has been significantly reduced.. ill have to drive over to cup to fish that inlet.

You will have to walk to fish the Inlet from The Cupsogue Side also.

On 6/13/2019 at 0:29 PM, fatbikerjoe said:

I'll be out there camping next weekend.  I'll do some recon and report back.  I'll take the fatty out to fish the breach and the backbay.

Joe how is the bike in the soft sand ? Curious . Thinking of picking one up and looking for some feedback . Thanks .

19 hours ago, giant basshole said:

Joe how is the bike in the soft sand ? Curious . Thinking of picking one up and looking for some feedback . Thanks .

I run a fat bike with 100mm rims and a 4.8" tire aired down to 5 psi.  That's the magic combo for me.  The bike does fine in the soft sand but beware that you do have to pedal and it will put you into shape quickly.  Best bet is to ride below the high tide mark.  The sand is firm and you can cruise almost like you are on pavement.  The North Shore below high tide is pretty much concrete.  Cruising is very easy.  Let's not forget, you are riding a bike on the beach!

42 mins ago, fatbikerjoe said:

I run a fat bike with 100mm rims and a 4.8" tire aired down to 5 psi.  That's the magic combo for me.  The bike does fine in the soft sand but beware that you do have to pedal and it will put you into shape quickly.  Best bet is to ride below the high tide mark.  The sand is firm and you can cruise almost like you are on pavement.  The North Shore below high tide is pretty much concrete.  Cruising is very easy.  Let's not forget, you are riding a bike on the beach!

Thanks for the info Joe

On 6/12/2019 at 8:30 AM, flyrad10 said:

if you are just launching a kayak you can launch from the beach by the boat ramp and park for free, no permits needed.  I've  done this trip, the real problem is, you have to stay near the boat channel, anywhere close to the fire island side is only like 6 inches of water.  I need about 1ft for my hobbie.