Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Novice Basser

Leader material

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Quick question. I have been throwing around the idea of just using regular heavy mono/floro for leader material instead of the specified "leader material". I do know that the leader material is quite a bit stiffer than regular line and was wondering if this stiffness may hinder action especially in swimmers and other small lures. What experiences do you guys have with this? Are there any clear benefits or disadvantages in one over the other?

Novice

I am a novice myself and from reading online and listening to old salts at the beach, mono is fine for surfcasting.  the waters here are far from clean and clear enough to make the invisibility of the flouro a factor. 

BUT I dont have enough experience to make a call myself so I have some big-game 30# mono line and some 30# flouro leader and I am using them both and trying to see whats what.

Lesson 1: tied fireline to flouro leader directly using an alberto knot and it gave out when I hooked into a large bluefish. using a barrel swivel for now... after reading about other failures in tying braid direct to flouro

subscribed to this thread - should be very educational :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novice Basser View Post

Quick question. I have been throwing around the idea of just using regular heavy mono/floro for leader material instead of the specified "leader material". I do know that the leader material is quite a bit stiffer than regular line and was wondering if this stiffness may hinder action especially in swimmers and other small lures. What experiences do you guys have with this? Are there any clear benefits or disadvantages in one over the other?

Novice

The big difference is in abrasion resistience. You need to ask yourself where you will be fishing and how much you want to spend.

In my opinion, flouro has it's place but in general, it is over-hyped. It does work but isn't really worth the costs and there are a lot of more important factors that will increase your catch rate. Sometimes it does matter though and it pays to have a spool in your box. Offshore fishing is a different story. You have to fish flouro or you are shooting yourself in the foot.

Some lures you need to put a ring or clip on to have it swim correctly, you should look up each one and see how it should be fished. Others you should tie direct. 

A lighter leader is a more important factor. Use the flouro on sunny days. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alpha View Post

The big difference in abrasion resistience. You need to ask yourself where you will be fishing and how much you want to spend.

In my opinion, flouro has it's place but in general, it is over-hyped. It does work but isn't really worth the costs and there are a lot of more important factors that will increase your catch rate. Sometimes it does matter though and it pays to have a spool in your box. Offshore fishing is a different story. You have to fish flouro or you are shooting yourself in the foot.

Some lures you need to put a ring or clip on to have it swim correctly, you should look up each one and see how it should be fished. Others you should tie direct. 

A lighter leader is a more important factor. Use the flouro on sunny days. 

Can you give me examples of a few specific lures you feel should have a ring to swim correctly? I've taken my splits off the nose of most of my lures (SP, Bombers, Mag Darter, Red Fins, etc).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atlantic View Post

Can you give me examples of a few specific lures you feel should have a ring to swim correctly? I've taken my splits off the nose of most of my lures (SP, Bombers, Mag Darter, Red Fins, etc).

Pretty much all those you listed, in my experience, have better action WITH the split ring on it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atlantic View Post

General rule of thumb is if it came with a split ring, there should be some kind of loop btw your line and lure. The best way to do it is with a loop knot. The only down side is it takes time to switch lures. A lot of guys just use TA clips. They work well but are more visible. 

I use flouro for sight casting but regular mono for everything else. I don't notice a difference in strikes/hook ups from my friends who use all flouro. I do use wire whenever toothy critters are in the mix.

I am a novice myself and from reading online and listening to old salts at the beach, mono is fine for surfcasting.  the waters here are far from clean and clear enough to make the invisibility of the flouro a factor. 

BUT I dont have enough experience to make a call myself so I have some big-game 30# mono line and some 30# flouro leader and I am using them both and trying to see whats what.

Lesson 1: tied fireline to flouro leader directly using an alberto knot and it gave out when I hooked into a large bluefish. using a barrel swivel for now... after reading about other failures in tying braid direct to flouro

subscribed to this thread - should be very educational :)

I use a uni-knot to uni-knot and always tie braid directly to mono with that knot. No failures. Remember to double up the braid when tieing it directly mono / flouro leader. I've landed 75# Tarpon on 20# braid tied to 80 # Berkley Big Game mono leade using a uni- to-uni. No knot failure.