Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cabo2005

Wireless Home Cameras

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Just wondering if anyone has a good experience with a reasonably priced camera that we can use wireless to connect with. Want one at home here and one for the Villa in Mexico. Be nice to make sure the kid is taking car of the cats daily and to be able repair work at the Villa and maybe catch the house cleaner doing something strange.

Thanks,

Cabo

The Foscams are cheap(ish) and work fairly well. I have this one, using it almost exclusively as a baby monitor for the grandson. My wife is paranoid about it getting hacked into so it's only connected to our home network and viewing from the internet is turned off. Has a nice picture and is pretty easy to set up. The thing I hate most about it is it loses it's network settings everytime it loses power. Kind of annoying to have to re-add it to the network (it has WPS so it's not that bad). I think I paid $65 during an Amazon daily deal. There's much nicer out there if you want to spend a few hundred bucks.

Foscam FI9821W V2 (Black) 1.0 Megapixel (1280x720p) H.264 Wireless IP Camera

I have a Uniden two cam system i picked up at Costco which serves the purpose fine for me. Wireless cameras mounted outside in my case.

This is a G766 two cam system that ran something around 289.00. Can be accessed from Iphone too

BTW It came in handy proving the UPS guy delivered my stuff to the wrong address one day !

One suggestion....be wary of cameras that require you to open a port on your firewall to see them from external.

Most of the available cameras have security flaws that are easily compromised...there are people constantly scanning for these open cameras....even if you have changed the password, there are backdoors

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagles Dare View Post

The Foscams are cheap(ish) and work fairly well. I have this one, using it almost exclusively as a baby monitor for the grandson. My wife is paranoid about it getting hacked into so it's only connected to our home network and viewing from the internet is turned off. Has a nice picture and is pretty easy to set up. The thing I hate most about it is it loses it's network settings everytime it loses power. Kind of annoying to have to re-add it to the network (it has WPS so it's not that bad). I think I paid $65 during an Amazon daily deal. There's much nicer out there if you want to spend a few hundred bucks.

+1

Models that have a cloud component (not that the cloud is 100% secure)....at least don't require open ports and there is another layer of security (cloud provider login). The camera will reach out to the cloud and create a meeting point for your phone to reach the camera, since the camera has already created an outbound connection on your firewall.

There are more complex ways to get around these issues and still have connectivity, but they are probably beyond what the average home user is able/willing to take on to configure.

Best way to do it, is have the cameras record back to a PC/DVR on the network and use a secure remote access method to view the footage. Then of course you should back up the footage (in near real-time) to an offsite location so if someone breaks into your house and steals your equipment, they didn't also steal the evidence you have of them breaking in.

:read:

Some years ago my BIL set up some cameras at a new house he had built.

By coincidence this video recorded some nut going through his new truck the very first night he installed the security cameras.

The lighting is bad and he made adjustments later.

He has since installed the most recent security cameras (tech wise) since.

If you go to 30 seconds into the video you will see a thief walk up his driveway and go through his truck.

When the creep opened the truck doors the lights lit up on the truck but it did not deter the bastard. Tells me he was a dangerous bastard.

He did not give a ****.

I will get the name/manufacture of the security cameras if you like.

Creepy stuff. :shock:

Dennis