Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
captkenroy

Special fly needed for special condition.

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

The "Striper" I am fishing for down here has only one stripe--Snook.

Here is the scenario: I'm fishing a bank that goes from 3' to 8' then to 20' all within a 20 foot distance. The current is screaming. I can get only 2 casts before I drift out of range. My trolling motor has to run at nearly full speed to hold the boat so I usually drift rather than spook the fish. Lots of tannin in the water and fish are not leader shy. Strikes come right as the lure/fly passes the 3-8' break.

Last Friday I caught 14 Snook on the plug in a 2 hour period. After catching 3-4 on the plug I picked up my fly rod. I didn't get a single strike in 5-6 passes by the strike zone. Andrew's Bulk Head Mullet let me down. My poor copy of the Bulkhead Mullet worked no better. I went back to the bait caster and caught at least 10 more.

Yesterday I fished the same spot with Andrew's Bulkhead and caught 3 Snook in very heavy wind conditions. This time I used 6' of TI 20 and a short 60# Fluoro bite tippet.. I also added a 3/16 inch split shot right at the eye of the hook. I didn't fish long because I had trouble controlling the little tin boat in the wind. Getting the fly down is the key but I hate split shot and TI is a pig for me to cast.

Any suggestions? I can't seem to tie a hollow tie on a weighted hook.

I would try a Dan Blanton style whistler on a full sinking line. The fly would give you the bulk and the line would help keep it in the strike zone longer. Just my .02 Ron

Flat lead wrapped on a hook shank then epoxied over for a smooth finish could creat a heavy fly then add a Fish Skull to the head.....cast at your own risk. I would coat the shank with epoxy mixed with tungsten powder, it works well for me at times when we need a bottom creeper.

We fish a similar spot in the back bay in jersey. Can you drop anchor? We back off the seam and make a long cast with an intermediate or sinking line up current of where the fish are holding, letting the line/fly sink/swing into the zone with a twitchy retrieve . A sparse fly (tied to match the hatch) with weight gets down pretty quick.

My best Striper to date came in this fashion

A weighted fly at the end of a LONG leader on a floating line might work... But a sinker is probably still a better option

A bulkhead moves a lot of water(which doesn't seem important in this scenario) and is more buoyant. So they tend to hover higher in the water column...

Sounds like the perfect scenario for a flatwing as the conditions you decribe sound similar to the waters they were originally intended to fish.

Good luck and I hope you report back with your results

JT

Snook have a notorious love for a white Clouser minnow or a Half/Half with a back of Peacock Herl. Try the red/ black eyes.

Cut your leader down to no more than 4' of 20lb. On a sink tip line.

No special fly is required. A technique change is in order.

I tied a couple of Flat Wings last week but haven't used them. I hadn't thought about them getting down easier but I'm sure you are right. Flat Wings don't seem to be popular here.

I hate to anchor as this bank is in a high speed traffic zone. My little 10' Jon boat is not made for big wakes from big boats passing close by. On the other hand, the tiny boat is "Invisible."

Nobody pays attention to an old phart in a little boat. I don't even cast if there is a boat close by. Almost nobody fishes this area and it is absolutely loaded with big Snook. I want to keep it for myself as long as I can. If I anchor, somebody is gonna get wise. Honestly, I'd almost rather get swamped than lose this spot.

There is a picture of a Hollow Fleye on SOL but I don't know how to find it. Someone please help. It has a bead in between the last ties. Very open and sparse. That'll get the job done for you Captain. Old post around 2001 or 2.

BobPop

YES! Thank you very much. Try something like this one Captain. You can use lead wire instead also. Keep it sparse and a little lead and you should be good to go!

BobPop

I can tie that thanks to guys here who have shared their techniques and expertise.

Question??? I seldom use heavy wire hooks. I mostly tie with the Mustad 3407s I've used for 40 years or more. I can't imagine needing a stronger hook on fly tackle.

Are the heavier hooks used to sink or balance large flies?

On getting a fly down for Snook .....

Already been mentioned ... but go with 300 to 400 grain sinking head line, use a long leader (8 or 9 foot) and a fly that has neutral to negative buoyancy. A Clouser or Half & Half is a good choice... a weighted Hollow fly like the above is a fishable fish catcher.

But if it were me ... I'd wrap some (not a lot) lead wire into the body of a surf candy and fish that. The density of the surf candy & size makes it easy to cast and when down under ... it sinks well enough because of reduced drag (in the water column). Bullet candies really get down fast ... but are a little tougher to cast and have less buoyancy..... hence bullet candies are more like jigs than a near neutral buoyancy "swimming" surf candy fly.

I've caught a number of Snook on surf candies ... though I was fishing from shore / jetty structures. My only concern then was snagging rocks or coral. Anyhow ... Good Luck and Catch a Big One!!

I'm sure you're doing this but it has not been mentioned - Assuming you're casting down current or at least perpendicular to the current from your boat as you drift, make many mends down current (generally speaking of course) as well. This will help greatly with the sink.

Thank you M. Sax. Unfortunately, when the tide is best (really hauling butt) my drift is so dang fast I have time for only a couple of casts.

Today we have much slower tide due to the moon phase. I had planned to anchor and drift a Flat wing with a pulse disc right down into the strike zone.

I have my son's 18' skiff hooked up right now but the wind is 20-25. I won't fish today. maybe Monday.