Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mark L

Another 706 question

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

Ive been use a 706 for most of 2014. I just cant get used to the silver thing infront of the roller. Maybe im the only one, but after trying a friends VS i think its time to remove it. Has anyone removed it, is it pressed in or threaded? What its purpose? Thanks for any help.

It's pressed in, just get a small punch and tap it out from the backside, I always remove it myself never really saw the point of it.
"Hit it from the back!" LOL...

i think its time to remove it. Has anyone removed it, is it pressed in or threaded? .
never really saw the point of it.
I just looked at the schematic for the 706. What is the "it" that each of you is referring to?

I was under the assumption that it helped keep line on the roller but just a guess. You can get a 704 and put a manual pick up on it if you don't want to damage the reel. (I have a 704z with manual pick up and original bail. Open for trades ;) )

That little metal stub in front of the roller, supposedly prevent line get cought in roller during casting. No issue with mine.
Ok i see your point it makes sense. The rotor does spin a bit when casting. Now if i pack it with grease would that stop the rotor from spinning and deam the part useless? Or that just wishful thinking. Thanks everyone so far for their input.

Never had the slightest issue with it. :huh: On the 704, if you put on the mushroom manual pick up, there's nothing like that little nub and the line tends to jump down around the arm when you're pencil popping and working the lure hard. Has never happened to me once with the 706. Perhaps that thing is there to keep the line on the roller ??

Perhaps that thing is there to keep the line on the roller ??

I think the cone-shaped part helps to guide the line under the roller when after the cast, the angler picks up the line with his finger and pulls it toward the roller so it will pick up the line.

I don't think the nubby is for trapping line to improve pencil popping. One, it's a little distance in front of a roller. Two,  it's shape like a speed bump to bounce line upward and away from the bottom of the roller. Especially at high speed like casting.   As to improve loose line trapping, I suspect that it's due to the over size line roller and the roller angle in relation to the spool. That's one of the reason I don't like the current 704 manual pickup.

Can we get an official answer from Penn. Maybe an official naming ceremony.

Oh, btw, my nubby is bigger than yours. :wee: