Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ReelSharp

Van Staal Surf Rod

16 posts in this topic

Hello Reelsharp, Sure. What you have is a Van Staal blank with power of 6P. It seems it was cut down to10'10 since at that time they did not offer at that length. Basically Van Staall back in aprox. 2004 to 2005 start selling a surf rod until they had some financial problems. Many people are not aware of Van Staal selling surf rod. It was/is very high end rods even to today standards. To give you an idea back in 2004 Van Staal sold these surf rods approx. for mid $500. It is an excellent rod. Few people that were able to grab these rods really enjoys using them to this day. The rod is moderate to moderate fast. The rods bends all the way butts with very strong backbone. Rod wants to bend. If you have further questions.. pm me.

When I say rod wants to bend.. it's a good thing. It bends with no flat spot with power. They were ahead of their time even to todays. It's a product of Japan with Van Staal putting some inputs. They were engineer and develop in USA. Some were manufactured in Japan.

Appreciate the info Hayan , thank you. Are these two piece rods ? The third picture from the top makes me think it was at one time.

You're welcome. Yes. I don't believe they sold 1pc rod at that length. However no flat spot. They did have 8' that is 1 pc.

When I say rod wants to bend.. it's a good thing. It bends with no flat spot with power. They were ahead of their time even to todays. It's a product of Japan with Van Staal putting some inputs. They were engineer and develop in USA. Some were manufactured in Japan.

I've had a chance to fish the 5p, 11ft'er (rated 3/4 to 4oz) recently and was very impressed. Throws mag darters as well as 4oz jigs effortlessly and has plenty of backbone fighting fish in strong current. I had been fishing the century s2 up to this point but think I have now found my new all around favorite rod for throwing in the 1-4oz range.