Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
staktup

Baitrunner spinning reel question

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Does anyone have a baitrunner type of spinner that you can flip the bail and cast with the baitrunner feature on? I figured if one wanted to eliminate the bail closing during the cast and losing a lure or rig, if the baitrunner feature could be engaged and the bail wire closed, the baitrunner would minimize or prevent a snap-off. Just a random curious thought right now...

I only use my baitrunner for chunking ,and could not cast with with the free spool on after you cast just cup youre hand around the open bail as your walking back from the waters edge.then close the bail reel till the lines tight and then flip your free spool on.

I would say impossible, when you went cast the spool would spin, likely over running and giving you a serious tangle. And if you could do it and your bail closed during a cast you it would likely over run and you would be hand lining in, cutting out the tangle and re rigging. So no , I don't think it's possible.

If the bail is open, "baitrunner" feature cannot be engaged. Scratch that, just tried it on my Shimano. It can be engaged, but the spool will slip. I guess it could save you a snap off, but there would be a line slippage issue.

If the bail is open, "baitrunner" feature cannot be engaged.

Scratch that, just tried it on my Shimano. It can be engaged, but the spool will slip. I guess it could save you a snap off, but there would be a line slippage issue.

Yeah, that slippage is what I was thinking could save you from snapping off mid-cast. I posted this because I had a Penn SSV that despite the strong rotor brake, kept flipping over despite all the known techniques to prevent it. I like the reel enough, and even tried removing the z-shaped lever inside the bail arm, but did not like the floppy effect and couldn;t keep the spring engaged inside. I ended up selling it and did not want to deal with retro-fitting a new rotor and MPU.

Just a thought for folks who want a baitrunner to consider this one of the variable when selecting a new reel...

Quote:

Originally Posted by staktup View Post

Does anyone have a baitrunner type of spinner that you can flip the bail and cast with the baitrunner feature on? I figured if one wanted to eliminate the bail closing during the cast and losing a lure or rig, if the baitrunner feature could be engaged and the bail wire closed, the baitrunner would minimize or prevent a snap-off.

Just a random curious thought right now...

How would you be able to cast with the secondary drag engaged? 

Check out the Penn SSV6500 bail-less. That will probably be the best reel for you if you want a baitrunner feature and are having problems with breakoffs. 

How would you be able to cast with the secondary drag engaged? 

Check out the Penn SSV6500 bail-less. That will probably be the best reel for you if you want a baitrunner feature and are having problems with breakoffs. 

With the bail open and the Baitrunner engaged, line would still come off the spool as normal. The Baitrunner feature only comes into play if the bail were to close. There would be enough give in the line to prevent snap offs, or at least that would be the theory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quan808 View Post

With the bail open and the Baitrunner engaged, line would still come off the spool as normal. The Baitrunner feature only comes into play if the bail were to close. There would be enough give in the line to prevent snap offs, or at least that would be the theory.

That doesn't make any sense. The secondary drag allows the spool shaft to spin freely, hence allowing the spool to spin. How can a person cast when the spool is spinning. A better question is why would you want to? 

There are actually reels that allow you to cast with the "baitrunner" on. The Penn live liner 4500L would allow you to do it.

If you are having break-offs regularly you are doing something incorrectly. You need to practice casting and get a shock leader. A bail-less is a great thing to have that will help with the occasional break-off, we all do it; however, it is not a remedy for bad casting. 

Trust me, you DON'T want to do this.

I have a few times inadvertently :o, and it is not pretty.....plan on spending a few hours afterward to save your braid.

That doesn't make any sense. The secondary drag allows the spool shaft to spin freely, hence allowing the spool to spin. How can a person cast when the spool is spinning. A better question is why would you want to? 

There are actually reels that allow you to cast with the "baitrunner" on. The Penn live liner 4500L would allow you to do it.

If you are having break-offs regularly you are doing something incorrectly. You need to practice casting and get a shock leader. A bail-less is a great thing to have that will help with the occasional break-off, we all do it; however, it is not a remedy for bad casting. 

If you have the Baitrunner set at it lightest setting, it may spin with resistance. As you increase the setting, the spool will not spin freely.

How does the Penn Liveliner work differently from a Shimano?

Steve I see that by having the Baitrunner engaged it has caused a cluster during cast. Is it because of the line slippage during cast? If that is the reason could the OP set the Baitrunner feature to a point of no slippage to make it work? If not, he will know not to try it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quan808 View Post

If you have the Baitrunner set at it lightest setting, it may spin with resistance. As you increase the setting, the spool will not spin freely.

How does the Penn Liveliner work differently from a Shimano?

Steve I see that by having the Baitrunner engaged it has caused a cluster during cast. Is it because of the line slippage during cast? If that is the reason could the OP set the Baitrunner feature to a point of no slippage to make it work? If not, he will know not to try it.

Completely different reels, made by different companies, with different secondary drag systems.

I'll tell you what why don't you try this new technique out and make a video so we can all see how it works :D.

Alpha is right.

If you are having issues with bail closures during the cast, you are doing something wrong. I can not think of one instance were I have actually had a bail close on me during the cast, let alone have a break off because of such a thing happening.

One important thing to do when casting with a spinning reel is to make sure the roller is stopped above the spool prior to openning the bail and casting. In this position the bail will be able to open fully and stay in place and out of the way of the line as you pinch the line to the rod handle to begin your cast.