Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Angler #1

The Call of the

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

Loons are beginning to sound . The main migration does not seem to have started as of yet, but we have spotted a single one several days down at the east end . Under normal conditions around the water, they become the center for locating bait fish, like mackerel and other small fish swimming in schools out in Cape Cod Bay. At times they appear to be just swimming on the surface, however they are in full mode searching for a meal. Out on the open water many times they are indicators of what is beneath the surface . Besides having a nice sounding voice they can mark bait which other fish may be feeding on. I look forward to them each fall as they stop along the ocean fronts on the way to there winter habitat. In the past when the migration gets into full swing , it is an indicator to start looking for some mackerel and smelt along the route they travel.

Has any one seen these birds in large numbers any where ?

I keep looking each day for the numbers to increase, but as of yet it is mostly a single pair visually seen at this time.

Early in the year when i was attempting to pick up a few flat ones I had a two pair swimming around picking up small fish. They were a joy to watch working the water and calling to each other . :D